How much do you guys charge to fit a gas fire? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How much do you guys charge to fit a gas fire? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBServices

Hi guys, been to a property today where a previous GSR has capped off the fire. The landlord wants a new inset fire fitting so I've been, taken out the old fire and inspected the chimney, which is lined and passed the flue flow test.

I don't do many fires and as a result i think it will probably take me a little longer to install than someone with lots of experience in doing them, just want to know what you lot charge so I'm not going in too high (not sure how long to allow for). The flue, hearth and gas supply are all present and in good order, so its literally a case of putting the fire in and testing.

Cheers, Tom.

how old is the liner?
do you need to become a bricklayer/plasterer for the day?
what was the reason for the previous fire being capped?

liners must be guaranteed for 15 years the only way you can check its integrity is to remove it and inspect if in any doubht replace

If its a straight fit, three hours labour. But as above the liner needs to be proved.

I have no idea how old the liner is to be honest, will have to ask the homeowner tomorrow. Looks to be in good nick and the catchment space/opening is structurally sound.

What's the procedure with the liner? Obviously fitting a new liner is a major expense so how do I determine if it needs one? Can't see the landlord going for it tbh.

The old fire was capped due to "cracks in the coals" and the sat GSR advised a new fire to be more cost efficient than replacing. Think the previous guy was trying to create work for himself.

I thought thread would be okay in GSR forum bod?

Thanks for advice guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I requested it moved in case people wanted to start putting prices in the thread. It's not good to start quoting prices on the open forum.

Sorry mike, I thought I'd put it in the private gas safe forum.

if the fitting of the fire is straight forward and no building work is required id charge around 60-80 plus parts should take max 1.5hrs. as reguards the liner its for you to decide its condition :)

if the fitting of the fire is straight forward and no building work is required id charge around 60-80 plus parts should take max 1.5hrs. as reguards the liner its for you to decide its condition :)

I've quoted £100 over cost of fire, so once extra materials are included, I'd guess I'm about right. The liner looks fairly new, so will discuss with homeowner the potential need to replace.

i would just remove the liner in case its gone pourus , personally i would be looking at covering a days wage as nothing is ever what it seems

I've quoted £100 over cost of fire, so once extra materials are included, I'd guess I'm about right. The liner looks fairly new, so will discuss with homeowner the potential need to replace.

but you cant inspect it through out its length without removing it,it might look fine on the end your seeing but be like a colander on top ,dont rely on a flue flow to confirm this,very nieve if you do tb,at the end of the day if it goes wrong your the installer who signed the paperwork,who fitted the appliance,be very careful,because the hse will not except it looked ok and passed a flue flow,for all you know that liners been there for 2 years or 20 they will tell you any old crap to keep the price down

Looks like I'm in for another sleepless night lol.

Looks like I'm in for another sleepless night lol.

been there,removed some they look fine,others look fine at the bottom knackered half ways through,at the end of the day mate do whats safe and does not cause sleepless nights:wink_smile:

Can anyone direct me to the guidance on flue liners or explain what my position? Obviously it's been so long since I've even thought about it, I've forgotten.

BS 5440 part 1 page 29

When replacing an appliance connected to a chimney lined with a metallic liner, the existing liner should be replaced unless it is considered that it can continue to operate safely throughout the lifespan of the new appliance.

Under normal operating conditions, a correctly installed metallic liner conforming to BS 715:1989 or BS 715:1993 or BS EN 1856-2 should operate safely for at least the operational lifespan of the appliance, normally 10 years to 15 years.

That's brilliant, thanks mike. God I love this forum.

Why not just fit an electric fire then no problems, and you can sleep nights ?

Why not just fit an electric fire then no problems, and you can sleep nights ?

The tenant uses the fire a lot as he's a bit of a hermit, stays in one room and uses the fire instead of the CH.

does the chimney require a liner? if not and whip the old liner out and make good on the stack

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

does the chimney require a liner? if not and whip the old liner out and make good on the stack

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

By the looks of the chimney stack outside, it probably does require a liner lol. Obviously pointless removing a liner to then refit it, regardless of condition.

Shame you can't just stick a drain camera down to check the condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

He is registered for work on gas fires. After...
Replies
Views
Hi Brambles, Well the gas engineer came round...
Replies
Views
I'll give this a go, thank you
Replies
Views
You should keep a record of all the gas work...
Replies
Views
Back