How often is there an explosion??? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter maskell01
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 666

Discuss How often is there an explosion??? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maskell01

Hi All,
After finding out recently from a g3 engineer, as recommended by you guys, that an unvented cylinder can be fitted to my stanley superstar.
I got thinking, how often do the cylinders "go Nuclear"?
I found the mythbusters video, but they disconnected every safety product, obviously it went BANG bigtime.

I understand that it has the potential to go off, but with an expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and 2 port valve, How often does this happen???

Ill be honest, i didnt have the balls to ask the engineer, in case i offended him!

Cheers

Aaron

as long as they are fitted correctly by a suitably qualified engineer and maintained and serviced regularly there is no danger of them going bang. as you said the cylinder on mythbusters had all the safety devices disabled or removed.

It's the risk of overheat that is the danger with unvented cylinders. That's why the pressure relief/ temperature overheat valve is critical and has to be already factory fitted on the unvented units.
The 2 port valve and any immersion heater cut out stats are also part of that overheat prevention safety requirements.

You will find that the only rare incidients that have happend, are the result of incorrectly installed systems. One of the g3 courses i have done (about 10 years ago) the tutor had just been to court as a witness for the prosecution against an installer that had bodged an unvented cylinder installation that went bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I recognise the white Cosmos valves. Yes...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back