How to access taps behind a P shaped shower bath | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to access taps behind a P shaped shower bath in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I'm about to install a P shaped shower bath into a small bathroom. However I've noticed that with the bath in place it's not possible to reach under the bath to the pre drilled tap holes. Because of the circular shape there's also no line of sight to these either making it very hard or impossible to reach with a spanner.

So if I were to install the bath like this I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the taps without ripping out the whole bath?

One option I'm considering is to cut new tap holes in the centre of the rim. But this means filling in the old taps somehow and I'm wondering if that's necessary. The bath was designed this way with the pre cut holes so presumably there should be a way to unscrew the tap nuts from underneath?

So I'm interested to hear other's thoughts on this problem.

Thanks

Asset 1@1.5x.png

Welcome to Plumbing!
If you cannot reach the taps with your neck broken and your face squashed against the side of the spikes of fibreglass, with your arm scratched and sliced by it, then you will struggle to get them out, yes.

Could they be reached through the wall it will sit against? (access panel).
You could take the bath out if you install it with that in mind.
You could re-drill new holes I suppose but you need to look at where and how they will be for strength.
You could fit it and look at it that it's not really your problem. Presumably you didn't choose the bath.

Upvote 0
Yes, that would be my answer too, if it’s not practical to access through a Partition Wall, Flexible connections are not ideal, especially on an unsoftened supply in a Hard Water Area, but often the only solution to your customers design preferences.

As to the not my problem response, I will treat that with the contempt it deserves, if you’re going to do the job at all, Do It Right !, and even if you think it will be a Fit and Forget, one day someone will want it fixed, possibly the New property owner, and you might be the poor sod they find in the yellow pages or online 😂.

Upvote 0
Installing a P-shaped shower bath in a small bathroom presents a challenge when it comes to accessing the pre-drilled tap holes. The bath's shape and the limited space, as shown in your diagram, make it difficult to reach and tighten the tap nuts using standard tools. To address this, you could use specialized tools like basin wrenches or telescopic spanners, which are designed to work in tight spaces. Alternatively, cutting new tap holes in the center of the bath rim could offer easier access for future maintenance, although this would require covering the old holes with decorative covers or blanks.

If you proceed with the current tap hole positions, using flexible tap connectors might simplify the installation and maintenance process. For future tap removal, ensuring there's a removable panel or access hatch could be beneficial. While cutting new holes isn't strictly necessary, it might be worth considering if you're concerned about accessibility. Consulting a professional plumber could provide additional solutions tailored to your specific setup.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Recycle it and have a nice new one instead:)
Replies
Views
T
Replies
Views
  • Question
Consider why someone was selling it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Stigster, luckily a family member has...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
If no grub screws, one of the legs of the...
Replies
Views
Back