How to solder vertical joints | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How to solder vertical joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Have a laugh at this video teaching you how to solder a vertical joint properly.
Amazing how some people are so confident and think they can use their expertise to enlighten others.
Seems I have been doing it all wrong. :smile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjFOTGueQc

Last edited:
Wouldn't you start at the top and let the solder run down the inside of the fitting?

Cooling it and knocking it like that will make it leak!

I didn't realise you had to use "sodder" And I've been using solder all this time!

and he used too much "sodder" as well, which he needed to do as he had melted all the flux

I'm not sure what this teaches us?

Other than not to solder like this

I could teach a drunk chimp to 'sodder' better than that in about 30 seconds. It's embarrasing how proud he sounds as well!

I think the trouble is you guys have not realised that he is doing American soft soldering, not at all like the British kind, completely different.

As we all know Americans do everything bigger and better than anyone else.

I think the trouble is you guys have not realised that he is doing American soft soldering, not at all like the British kind, completely different.

As we all know Americans do everything bigger and better than anyone else.

Yeh, a lot bigger snotters running down pipe for a start!!

I know he was talking as he was going but once he turned his torch on, if it'd been hot enough, that should have been a 15 second operation. Way to make a meal of that!

He could have brazed that coupler with that heat!! He must go through lots of solder, I bet he wonders why he still gets leaks lol!

hahaha that is hurrendous soldering. Thanks for the video mate. Certainly made me chuckle!! haha

hahaha that is hurrendous soldering. Thanks for the video mate. Certainly made me chuckle!! haha

I just had to share the video! I also had to laugh when I saw it. I expected him to at the very least clean the joint up a bit & give it a final touch of heat. He definitely broke that joint as he give it a good battering as he prodded it.

Only in America. Why on earth would you feed the solder from the bottom.

I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it

Last edited:
I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it
Yeah I spotted that. Flux must have bound the pipe in the fitting till it got hot. Powerflow flux grips pipe something awful sometimes almost to the point of not being able to assemble the joint. Never had it happen with laco,but I prefer how Powerflow makes the solder run.
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

Last edited:
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

He actually wiped it (more accurately, broke it) and then proudly showed it to the camera all around the joint with the solder still run down the pipe. He obviously hasn't a clue. He could have started soldering that joint in a few seconds with all that heat from his propane torch.
An occasional dab of flux on end of solder wire would help solder it better & show if solder is at melt point IMO.
People should all give a comment to his video.
Although frankly most plumbers can't solder properly

Last edited:
haha knew this was going to be american! Sodder , do you think if "solder" was written out for them they would still say sodder?, like what part of the L dont they get?!

Applying the solder at the back is a good sign. He did that joint perfectly. No fuss, no waving the torch about, a nice quick application of solder at the right point. Note how he made the whole video in the time the American guy took to just heat the pipe!

What do you guys use as a guide to say you've used enough sodder per joint...when you visibly see that the solder has capillary'd around the whole fitting or amount of solder? I tried using diameter of fitting as a guide for a while but found it was too much...15mm of solder for a 15mm fitting etc.

I always do vertical soldering from round the back then you can see it ring around the front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
No worries mate. If that is the way you would...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
So i drained down, removed the fitting and...
Replies
Views
Yes. It's usually a load of stuff from Hong...
Replies
Views
Back