How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

Plucky

As above really.

I been self employed since last July and had been flat out since. Worked for a firm previously for 8 years and was lucky to have a few contacts.

Was subbing as an installer doing 1 job per week for British Gas but their work has thinned out a bit so they look after their own guys and long time contracters first. So I have no work from them at the mo, so I dont have anything from them until they pick up.

So I don have alot on! I have few services to do, few 1/2 day jobs powerflushing moving rads etc. An oil boiler swap. And a heating system overhaul in a massive house that involves splitting zones, new cylinders and re wiring.

I joined check a trade few weeks ago and have had a couple of calls through that which I am suprised about! 1 service and 1 quote for boiler swap.

Havent advertised elsewhere or anything other than local mag which is about 30 quid a month.

So hows everyone else doing, is it just me struggling or are things bit slow anyway?

im struggling a bit at the moment, got a job tomorrow fixing an undersink water heater and fixing a leak on a bit of pipe connecting radiators together which is badly corroded due to being about 30 years old, in an office block in town. Might have another job for a woman I'm going to call her tomorrow. Going to advertise alot in the new few weeks try get things to pick up a bit though.

Frustrating isnt it.

I do expect tough times and I know it will take me a few years to become established and have the phone ringing all the time. Im skeptical of advertising to be honest as there are so many places to go etc. I understand it may be necessary now though! You can soon end up spending a fair few quid a month advertising here and there etc.

My work has suddenly dried up , i do a boiler contract which has suddenly stopped dead , putting this down to end of financial year. Had few friends pass me couple days a week and having dribs n drabs of my own work .But have not priced anything of note for couple weeks and my phone does not ring much either lately .getting annoying now .

wish i was registered with snipef, just missed out on a boiler swap for the scrappage scheme which u need to be a member of snipef ! bit pointless for a sole trader though as it is an employers federation

i thought it was just me who was quite my phone hasnt rang for about a week luckly though i have been busy up till now finished the bathroom today and got nothing in till monday.

Just had a regular customer ring me, they want two bathrooms doing, complete overhaul tiling etc. A shower room and downstairs cloakroom so should keep me busy for a month... phew

i havent stopped since november last year, been working 5-6 days per week solid, its only just started to thin out abit now, im actually getting home for 5pm now, only got 2 weeks booked in the diary now, not to worried yet but have been doing a few leaflets here and there just incase it dries up more than id like.

hope it picks up for you all soon.

As above really.

I been self employed since last July and had been flat out since. Worked for a firm previously for 8 years and was lucky to have a few contacts.

Was subbing as an installer doing 1 job per week for British Gas but their work has thinned out a bit so they look after their own guys and long time contracters first. So I have no work from them at the mo, so I dont have anything from them until they pick up.

So I don have alot on! I have few services to do, few 1/2 day jobs powerflushing moving rads etc. An oil boiler swap. And a heating system overhaul in a massive house that involves splitting zones, new cylinders and re wiring.

I joined check a trade few weeks ago and have had a couple of calls through that which I am suprised about! 1 service and 1 quote for boiler swap.

Havent advertised elsewhere or anything other than local mag which is about 30 quid a month.

So hows everyone else doing, is it just me struggling or are things bit slow anyway?

i wouldnt say your quiet matey

wish i was registered with snipef, just missed out on a boiler swap for the scrappage scheme which u need to be a member of snipef ! bit pointless for a sole trader though as it is an employers federation

You don't need to be registered with SNIPEF to get the Boiler Scrappage voucher, although they say you "should" be. Ive done 3 so far and I'm not registered with them.

i phoned up and got refused, so did my mate

Speak to the customer to ensure they will allow you to act on their behalf and fill the form in online from their website. You're Gas Safe registration is all thats needed, after all its THE recognised industry body for gas. If they get humpty about it tell them you're enrolling with IGEM (which you can join using your gas safe registration for about £40 a year)

Been working 6/7 days a week since august last year work seems to keep piling up luckily though. advertise in yellow pages and yell.com. stopping the google adwords costing me £60.00 a month with minimum return. just having a new website developed with search engine optimisation which is a lot more cost effective at £300.00 which is being done through a free lancing website. also get work through a bathroom showroom(not sub contracting) as a recommended installer. i know there will be people who don't agree with advertising prefering to rely on word of mouth, but in times like this you need to get your business out there and recognised. incidentally most of my work comes from the yellow pages.

Been flat out for years, didnt even notice the rescestion but I have noticed that last month things are slowing down on my normal plumbing and gas side but the renewable side is still flat out.

ive applied for agencies and BG, through to the next stage of recruitment in BG whatever that means.. I'll even work full time and do my own work part time

I had quite an abysmal week last week , have been offered work but have had the usual let downs of people saying how much work they have only not to come up with any . Starting to think that people talk about work than actually do it !!!

ive applied for agencies and BG, through to the next stage of recruitment in BG whatever that means.. I'll even work full time and do my own work part time

If you have your own gas safe and insurance etc then stick to your guns and go the subby route. I was close to going direct with another firm and nearly did but its the best thing i have done going the contract route. Theres more freedom more money and its just a nicer way to work. Plus you can keep your gassafe and do private work aswell, as some firms don't like you having your own gassafe. I sat waiting for BG to start me for three months but I haven't looked back since.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yup and undersized flow/returns/heat emitters...
Replies
Views
Back