How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How you guys doing for work? Keeping your heads above water? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

We're busy. Generally we're always busy...we don't advertise at all. Just all comes in from regular clients and word of mouth. Once you're established and have customers willing to wait for you, then you'll always have work.

Worst thing is that when you get bigger jobs, then customers have to wait a long time for even small works, sometimes they get impatient and go elsewhere. When that happens theres always the danger you'll lose them as a customer. So I prefer to have loads of small jobs lined up, but with that, you never know when you might run out of work!

Hope it picks up for you all.

Has anybody tried a networking club? I joined a national one last year, it was a bit expensive but brought in lots of work.

A few of us left that one and started our own, no yearly fees just a twice a month meeting that costs £12.50 and we get a full english breakfast and a chance to pass each other referals for work.

It works well and I do realy well out of it, only one trade or proffession allowed to be a member.

All the profit from the club goes to help the members out with any adverts or christmass do's etc

One other thing I should probably add, it I do constantly market myself in a weird way.

For instance, we were changing a thermal store on saturday. I noticed that a local letting agent had her car parked outside and was showing someone a neighbouring flat.

I happened to see when she left, so I popped out with a handful of flyers, cards, a copy our public liabilty insurance (often needed) and had a chat.

Maybe I won't hear anything from her, but maybe I will. Took me a total of what 10 mins.

I'm always on the look out for little opportunities like that. Most blokes can't be bothered, but I need the money...two young kids and lots of bills!

If you have your own gas safe and insurance etc then stick to your guns and go the subby route. I was close to going direct with another firm and nearly did but its the best thing i have done going the contract route. Theres more freedom more money and its just a nicer way to work. Plus you can keep your gassafe and do private work aswell, as some firms don't like you having your own gassafe. I sat waiting for BG to start me for three months but I haven't looked back since.

I'm trying to get sub-contract work but dont know where to look, everyone i phone its either "leave a message and i'l get someone to phone back" starting to get desperate.

Has anybody tried a networking club? I joined a national one last year, it was a bit expensive but brought in lots of work.

A few of us left that one and started our own, no yearly fees just a twice a month meeting that costs £12.50 and we get a full english breakfast and a chance to pass each other referals for work.

It works well and I do realy well out of it, only one trade or proffession allowed to be a member.

All the profit from the club goes to help the members out with any adverts or christmass do's etc

is this like business people meeting up for a chat and a drink ? I have been invited to something like that

I am a big fan of BNI. I have been a memeber for 3 years now and it's always brought in around 15k per year and ~I love a good fry up.

got the bradford chamber of commerce coming out to see me next week. they do stuff like this also do free debt collecting business advice. etc. 200 quid a year sounds like it's worth a punt. have been looking to join a networking club but have really been rushed of my feet lately not had to look into it.

Quite slow at the minute. Didn't realise just how much a builder we work for kept us going the last 12 months. They have hit on hard times and not won a job this year.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yup and undersized flow/returns/heat emitters...
Replies
Views
Back