I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installations | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installations in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installati

*raise eyebrow*

i can happily quote higher for you.....

customers stick to a tradesmen and happily pay a premium for quality work and reliability.

why should i charge less because the next guys going to ?

Re: I am gas safe registered looking for central heating, gas and bathroom installati

Why? You are in business.

If you just want to work for wages, work for someone else, and let them take all the risk and do all the worrying, and invest in all the tools etc.

Businesses invest and take risk. Your tools and van will depreciate. Your skills will be come out of date and you will have to pay to update them. Unfortunately, someone will not pay you, and despite your best efforts you will never get that money. You will make a mistake, and have to go back and rectify it. Or it won't be your fault, but you will fix it anyway, because you are in business, and you need the goodwill.

If you work for somebody, how much can you get per year? 40K? Than what is your hourly rate? Around £16! How much you get now? That difference already counts your status.

I believe many people here looking for jobs can drain the heating system for £30 pounds or even less. So what is the reason to pay £100? Skill? Knowledge? Pipe work is basic skill of any plumber.

It is this high charge leading to job problem as stated in this post and others. How much is the average wage in Britain? If a plumber earn much more than average, there will be more people stepping in, and lower the price.

you are probably paid an hourly wage of say £15 or more an hour, and from this you pay for living expenses. If as a plumber you charge £55 an hour, you will extract you fixed costs of your business as well as your variable costs and whats left is your living wage. Once the public realises that this is how people run a business then they will stop winging about us overcharging as we pay for insurance to protect the customer, travelling costs and vehicle expenses to reach the customer, travelling time to allow us to get between jobs when we arent actually earning in the customers mind, tools and materials cost money to alow us to repair things for customers and we need regular training to make it legal for us to work for customers, and when you take all this into account £55 per hour isnt enough to give us a decent living wage!!!!!!!!!!!!

which is why I charge £75 for the first hour, plus more for travelling outside a 10 mile area, and I increase the rate accordingly out of hours to such an extent your eyes would bleed if you needed me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest I would have charged that too ,if not a bit more.

If you look at here and other web sites, many qualified plumbers looking for jobs and asking for less than £200 a day. I know many plumbers working for local council working for less than £15 per hour.

If you look at here and other web sites, many qualified plumbers looking for jobs and asking for less than £200 a day. I know many plumbers working for local council working for less than £15 per hour.

These are an exception not a rule.

If you work for somebody, how much can you get per year? 40K? Than what is your hourly rate? Around £16! How much you get now? That difference already counts your status.

Have you ever run a business abc11156?

Why are you all trying to teach a stupid person how business works ?
No matter what you say or how you explain they have such a poor view of the plumbing industry & the skill levels required that how ever little was quoted it would be to much.
Just let them pay a little & get a whole lot of trouble!!!

You still haven't got into your head the difference between working for someone, and running your own business! They are completely and utterly different things.

And there is a bottom to every market. Look on autotrader and you will find cars for less than £500. But you wouldn't want one would you? Similarly there are footballers who will play for £50 for 90 mins, but they aren't likely to get a game for Chelsea.

There are "plumbers" that will work for £10 per hour. Just not in my house thank you.

What happened to it? Was it a successful long term venture?

My business grows very quick. We are getting more and more customers.

Why are you all trying to teach a stupid person how business works ?
No matter what you say or how you explain they have such a poor view of the plumbing industry & the skill levels required that how ever little was quoted it would be to much.
Just let them pay a little & get a whole lot of trouble!!!

I couldn't agree more.

This thread is getting out of hand.

Prices vary from district to district but general rule of thumb is if you pay peanuts, prepare to clean up monkey poo. And it sounds like you're about to clear up a lot of poo.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
That's a fair better idea or costly mistakes...
Replies
Views
Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Back