I really need your help, 2 zoned system | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I really need your help, 2 zoned system in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

N

Nailey

Hello everybody. I am worried sick. I recently piped up 6 houses that are a 2 zoned system. 2 normal pressurised systems and 2 combo systems. I have piped a separate rad pipe for rads up and separate for rads down but i have only send one return radiator pipe round for all the radiators.

Today i have tested and fired one of the houses up and the downstairs radiators (running one zone valve) works fine. I have upstairs zone valve turned off via programmer (which controls middle floor and top floor) and the middle floor radiators are getting warm. I obviously should of sent a separate return pipe for each zone. There is no way i can run that in now though as it just wouldn't be possible. So just wondering if there is anything i can do really. I am worried sick.

Many thanks.

zone valves can be on either flow or return, its ok to have a common return to boiler ope all the way, provided the valves are on the flow and are properly installed with branches to eack zone fed of the common flow from the boiler ,check you pipework again and see where your tees are connected, remember ,theres always a way, dont panic,

Hello everybody. I am worried sick. I recently piped up 6 houses that are a 2 zoned system. 2 normal pressurised systems and 2 combo systems. I have piped a separate rad pipe for rads up and separate for rads down but i have only send one return radiator pipe round for all the radiators.

Today i have tested and fired one of the houses up and the downstairs radiators (running one zone valve) works fine. I have upstairs zone valve turned off via programmer (which controls middle floor and top floor) and the middle floor radiators are getting warm. I obviously should of sent a separate return pipe for each zone. There is no way i can run that in now though as it just wouldn't be possible. So just wondering if there is anything i can do really. I am worried sick.

Many thanks.

i was told on a course it could be done as you have but i argued saying when the lower circuit is on some of the upper rads could get warm but the lecturer would not have it. always have and always will run a flow and rtn for each floor never had any problems when i have done 4 zone systems . you have prooved what i said on course.i cant see anything you can do as the water will take the easiest route and if thats up the rtn to the upper level rads then it will.you could possibly fit a check valves .
ant

Hi Nailey :welcome:.

Without knowing how you've piped the returns in then its a bit difficult. Are you sure the upstairs zone valve isn't passing?

One thing you could try is a none return valve fitted to the pipe where the reverse flow starts. That could prevent the rest from heating.... As said it depends on how you've piped this up. I'm guessing you've got droppers to downstairs is that right?

Yes that is correct and yes the upstairs zone valve was initially passing. I was made up when i found this out but i have closed the rads up using a gate valve and some of the upstairs rads are still getting warm, also i have piped for combi systems using only one return. Will that also do what this is doing? or will they be ok?

Once again many thanks

i agree with diamond gas . and fitting a check valve could work but could also just move the problem to another rad. you may end up putting one on every flow to every upstairs radiator.but dont forget these could break down over time so would need to be accessible.

Yes that is correct and yes the upstairs zone valve was initially passing. I was made up when i found this out but i have closed the rads up using a gate valve and some of the upstairs rads are still getting warm, also i have piped for combi systems using only one return. Will that also do what this is doing? or will they be ok?

Once again many thanks

As long as the combi isn't zoned then you'll have no problems there mate :)

It is zoned though unfortunately

Any chance of doodling a rough drawing of how they're piped taking a picture and posting it up here Nailey. Kind of split up and down and then where you've coupled the respective returns? You may be having to go to the site forman and/or your gaffa with your tail between your legs here though!

Where would i put the check valves though. I am tempted as bad as it sounds to leave two of the houses as there is no way i can alter the pipework now and just hope and pray they never have downstairs on and upstairs off. Im so mad at myself.

Where would i put the check valves though. I am tempted as bad as it sounds to leave two of the houses as there is no way i can alter the pipework now and just hope and pray they never have downstairs on and upstairs off. Im so mad at myself.

From cold set the system away and see which rad return upstairs heats up first. That's the first pipe to stop reverse on! As ant said though you may end up fitting to all!

i have never fit one of those. I don't really know what or where I'm fitting them, sorry

they have a directional arrow on them that indicates the flow direction. If the return is heating and you're expecting the flow to then you fit the valve arrow in the direction you expect the water to flow i'e' out of the radiator not into it yeh? Down to the floor if your pipes are coming up and out, does that make sense?

just thought of another way tee both flows together an have as a single zone but fit honeywell central controled trvs on upstairs rads an option as this gets around building regs but they are not cheap.

ant

kind of. i would need to fit them under the floor near the rads and every rad upstairs right?

it isn't possible to take the floor up really the house it to big. I have to sort this out

no link both flows so house is a single zone then fit trvs the digital ones that are rf and work off a room stat to upper floors this is good enought for building regs.did this on a house that a plumber did as a single zone

ant

i know mate but i would have to do it on every house then as the agent is well fussy and the sparks have already done all there wiring and what not. I've tried closing the upstairs valves slightly (not sure if it will do anything) and going to check them again tomorrow. Will the combi one's have the same problem or will they be ok. There is only 6 rads in them

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The eTRVs would have to open before the zone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There are 7 manifolds total. I”m no expert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you got any updates on this?
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Hi Brooke, can you upload a photo, as this...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back