I really need your help, 2 zoned system | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I really need your help, 2 zoned system in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

N

Nailey

Hello everybody. I am worried sick. I recently piped up 6 houses that are a 2 zoned system. 2 normal pressurised systems and 2 combo systems. I have piped a separate rad pipe for rads up and separate for rads down but i have only send one return radiator pipe round for all the radiators.

Today i have tested and fired one of the houses up and the downstairs radiators (running one zone valve) works fine. I have upstairs zone valve turned off via programmer (which controls middle floor and top floor) and the middle floor radiators are getting warm. I obviously should of sent a separate return pipe for each zone. There is no way i can run that in now though as it just wouldn't be possible. So just wondering if there is anything i can do really. I am worried sick.

Many thanks.

its the first 2 zoned system i've done but other people at the firm have run two separate returns round, i genuinely didn't think i would need to tho. i thought separate rads up and down would be fine

what happens if the complaint comes in when the homes are occupied? Who'll be sent to sort it out with carpets down and all the furniture in? Honestly mate if you can't sort it above floor level then IMO you'll have to come clean! Could you loose your job over this?

its the first 2 zoned system i've done but other people at the firm have run two separate returns round, i genuinely didn't think i would need to tho. i thought separate rads up and down would be fine

as i said there are lots who think this is ok and sometimes it can work but when i sketched it out the flow could go up to an upstairs radiator rtn pipe out on the flow through another up stairs rad then down to the common rtn . that lecturer argued with me and we agreed to disagree he even had a set up in the training room with this set up but as i pointed out all his pipes were the same length 2 rads either side of boiler so everthing was balanced perfect not possible in the real world.

am i going to have the same problem with the combi's? i might go in saturday and sunday when the agent isn't there and cut all the floors up to run a separate return downstairs

Offering free labour to rectify the problem could well save you your job ... :) Lesson learned Nailey. We all go through the pain barriers mate, some cost us more than others! I once crossed the gas with the heating pipes and flooded a boiler tray gas valve on a BBU. Luckely the meter hadn't been fitted! :)

Nailey by balancing i meant governing down the lockshields it`s normal practice in larger systems i know it sounds simple but could save the costly alternatives , plenty of good suggestions but i fear another return or tees in the right place , problem being we do not know the pipework layout , i am sure we will get there , having not tackled this type of system before & not seeking enough advice it may have to be a lesson learnt what`s your timespan for rectifying things ?

diamond do you think i will have the same problem with the combi's. I've just asked a friend, a plumber who's a lot more clued up than me and he says i will have to put non return valves on all the returns. i can put them behind the rads as the pipe comes behind the radiator and swoops to the front. that might be my best bet

Nailey weve all made mistakes thats life take a good circular saw with you cut the floor up clean & square glue & sawdust at the joints if it looks tidy what can they say .

non return valves are a bit of a get out but if you test them well & make them accessable if possible , my only concern would be at a later date when they clog & block.

Last edited by a moderator:
diamond do you think i will have the same problem with the combi's. I've just asked a friend, a plumber who's a lot more clued up than me and he says i will have to put non return valves on all the returns. i can put them behind the rads as the pipe comes behind the radiator and swoops to the front. that might be my best bet

If they are all twin zoned and piped the same way then it's most likely you're gonna have the same issues. If you're talking microbore then you'll have to check whether you can get none return valves that fit. I've only known them to go down to 15mm pipe. It will work out expensive too and mess with the ballance as they're spring loaded!! Honestly Nailey you may be better off re doing the pipework! As said, it may pay to come clean. The boss would rather the job was done right for his/her reputation and future business IMO. Yeh it may cost them/you, hopefully they're understanding enough and appreciate your honesty! :)

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Zone 1 does the whole house including...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The eTRVs would have to open before the zone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There are 7 manifolds total. I”m no expert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you got any updates on this?
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Hi Brooke, can you upload a photo, as this...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back