I think my hot water cylinder hasn’t been plumbed in properly | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I think my hot water cylinder hasn’t been plumbed in properly in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

P

pspec

I think my hot water cylinder hasn’t been plumbed in properly …

It’s a dimplex unvented mains pressure one (with a pump to make a hot water ring/loop so you have instant hot water at all taps).

First the problem (oh I should say I keep the loop thing turned off)

Most of the hot water taps temp are about 35% colder than if the loop is tuned on and it doesn't matter how long you let it run for it wont get hotter..

When running kitchen tap you need to run around six buckets of water before it get warm and it never seems to get really hot…

So this loop thing

Hot water comes out the top of the tank runs to all the taps then to a pump then it joins the cold water feed that goes into the bottom of the tank. I’m calling it a loop as I don’t know its proper name and it seems to make a loop so loop it is…

I’m thinking (with the pump turned off) when you turn a tap on its drawing hot from the top and cold from the bottom and that’s why I’m getting this 35% temp drop. The kitchen tap I think could be at the end of the loop and therefore closer to the cold so it could be drawing more cold than hot…

I’ve found an old Dimplex manual that shows there should be a one way valve before the hot water pipe joins the cold on its way back into the tank.

bGv9i1.jpg

If I’m correct by adding a one way valve I think this should sort out the problems.

But I’m not sure if it already has a one way valve so I’ve posted photos showing the pump and the pipes going back to the hot water tank. It doesn’t look like there's a one way valve but then I’m not sure what it would look like. On both sides of the pump there are a large copper type joints that joins the pump to the pipe could the oneway valve be in one of them..

J3Z0E1.jpg

sJfkrd.jpg

O8xCyA.jpg

Second possible problem….

Looking at the above diagram it shows a swept Tee joint where the hot water return joins the cold pipe

As you can see in the photo above I have a Tee joint installed there. Would this course a problem..

Sooooooooooooooo

I’m I correct and I don’t have a one way valve and I do need to install one…………….???????????????

Also the diagram shows the one way valve installed after the pump. can I install it before the pump as there’s no room to do so before it without ripping the whole thing apart………???????????????????????

Can I leave the Tee joint on the in feed pipe or do I need to change it to a swept tee joint………??????????????

Thanks

You shouldn't be playing with this it comes under G3 of building regs and should only be worked on by a registered engineer whether installing or maintaining, it looks like a new install so you should also have got a certificate for building regs notification for the work, you need the get the installer back assuming he/she is G3 certified if not employ someone who is, don't want to over dramatise but if not installed you could create an explosive situation

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
are you saying they could have come off the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A very rough calculation maybe using a UPS 3...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
I suspect that the macerator activation is...
Replies
Views
Back