If you find yourself low on work.... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss If you find yourself low on work.... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Hi Danny

No Not at the academy..I've been going to Kingston college for twelve months.. 'proper' college is a lot cheaper!!..I've registered for the NVQ at Carshalton College, I managed to get funding as well through The Train To Gain programme... So I'm just going to take it steady and do the work for the portfolio when I can...and I'll be haveing a new shower, bath, basin, loo and sink, and perhaps an extra outside tap and, and maybee an extra loo downstairs..that should be worth at least a couple of visits for the assessor!!!

Cheers

Garry

PS I'm a graphic designer during the day! so if you need any forms or leaflets designing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have time to deliver leaflets anymore but I still get work from the ones I delivered 24 months ago.

I hate it though when they don't have a letterbox so you have to go round the back and there's still no letterbox. Curtains start to twitch so you just give up and go next door.

I was aslo mauled by a dog once, I went through the gate (after this I always rattled the gate to announce my approach) and walked toward the house, no letterbox on front so I went round the back and a dog came from nowhere and savaged me (definatly not playing) I ran back to the gate with it jumping up and biting me as I went. If I had a hammer on me or a brick I would have honestly cracked its head open and I'm pretty sure the owners would not have had a case against me as I was there to promote my business and there was no beware of dog sign.

The dog had free roam all around the garden, I only opened the front gate. I got away with only a minor nick in my shin, nothing seroius.

i dropped off leaflets years ago for my wifes business, first drop got a good responce. second drop not one call, need to keep things fresh is what i learned

I'm personally not going to go round peoples houses, leaflet dropping. Not just as I don't want to get bitten by dogs, but also because it's very time consuming.

I'm having my website updated by a professional and I'm going to push for google hits.

Leaflets could be very handy for some large blocks that I have worked in. Some of them I've worked in three apartments next door to each other, as I leave one I go to their neighbour, so a bulk drop in their lobby might be very handy. I just think walking up and down the streets will take more time and effort than the possible rewards. I personally through anything like that directly in the bin. Maybe I'm just a miserable git though!

Oh and Garry, thanks very much for the offer, I might give you a buzz mate.

Last edited:
So I'm just going to take it steady and do the work for the portfolio when I can...and I'll be haveing a new shower, bath, basin, loo and sink, and perhaps an extra outside tap and, and maybee an extra loo downstairs..that should be worth at least a couple of visits for the assessor!!!

when i did my NVQ we were told that all jobs undertaken at your own home are invalid and can't be used for assessment purposes.
seems a silly rule to me....but thats what we were told.

i would look into it if i were you before you shell out for a new suite...unless you were going to renew it anyway in which case it will still give you some experience.

KJ

when i did my NVQ we were told that all jobs undertaken at your own home are invalid and can't be used for assessment purposes.
seems a silly rule to me....but thats what we were told.

i would look into it if i were you before you shell out for a new suite...unless you were going to renew it anyway in which case it will still give you some experience.

KJ

God don't tell the mrs that she's been nagging for a new suite..... My tutor who is also the assesor says it is fine but thanks for the heads up I'll check it out

If i start to run low on work what I do is this.

The next 2 or three day job I have booked in I go up to that street a few days before I start the job and dropp the whole street and houses round about.

Then they all see the van a few days later at the job and guess what at least two or three leads come in. Works all the time.

Also when you are at a job for a few days on day one drop ten doors one way and ten the other do a first class job and you will get another.

Give it a try.

I've a large picture on the sides of my van, writing on bonnet and rear doors. It cost around £500 including the licence to use the photo. I'd expect fairly simple graphics to be around £150 to £250.

We also use boiler stickers with good glue - stick them all over the place - boiler, cylinder, pump
inside utility cupboard. Works especially well when a property we have worked on changes hands - gives a direct link for new owner to us.

centralheatking

leaflets go in the bin cos people get fed up of junk mail and dont even look at them just screw them up unless your there when they need someone,been there done it 3 times ,no calls best is working for old people long as you dont rip them off they tell there mates

leaflets go in the bin cos people get fed up of junk mail and dont even look at them just screw them up unless your there when they need someone,been there done it 3 times ,no calls best is working for old people long as you dont rip them off they tell there mates

I learnt that lesson - I drop 2 days after recycling day, day before and after just reminds people to put bin in/out, 2 days after and it stays on the side for a week at least. Also drop in the early evening - after they collected post/spam and will see yours separately. If I see a pile of uncollected junk on the porch, I leave it. Still getting calls from the drop I did in Sept. for a few hours effort.

I get a box of 5,000 A5 leaflets printed in full colour on gloss paper for £99. I put about a 1,000 out each week and always get calls from them. The secret is to advertise something that people want at a particular time of year. It's pointless advertising outside taps in November, but towel rads work! I mainly do bathrooms, but those that already have a good bathroom can be interested in a whirlpool bath. Professionaly printed leaflets give your business a better quality image than home produced ink jet ones and are also much cheaper when bought in bulk.
Although I've been a plumber since 1982, I'm also a qualified graphic designer/litho printer which helps greatly in my plumbing business!

Similar plumbing topics

Only level 3 available. I understand where...
Replies
Views
P
Thanks. I did try some other engineers and one...
Replies
Views
P
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
R
Thanks mate. Yeah I understand about the...
Replies
Views
RDS89
R
Back