i'm work on my own nd have recieved a tender for 18 dwellings, HELP?! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss i'm work on my own nd have recieved a tender for 18 dwellings, HELP?! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

So, just checking & confirm this for me, if you will, you don't think going into this area of contracting work is a good idea then? Cos there seems to be a bit of conflicting advice to the OP,er. reading through.

(well I think one post may have said one word that could have been taken as a positive. LOL)

PS makes you wonder how many new houses get built don't it!!

if you have the means and experience to do this work then you can make profit, you need to fully understand what your getting into tho which is why most posts are on the negative side. Due to the competition in this sector the profit margins are never very high tbh so you need to know exactly what your costs are per job to make a profit.

for example i worked for a guy who was doing local council kitchen and bathroom work (just the plumbing and any gas work), subbying to a main contractor. his profit for each kitchen was approx £6 to £10 after 1st fix, 2nd fix, move cooker etc........ This may be good if your doing hundreds of kitchens a year, it may not be worth it if your doing a few per week. He would cringe when id tell him id put a new cooker hose on the existing cooker as his QS would have to fight to get the extra money to cover the cost.

Last edited:
Did you ever get a profitable one from an unsolicited email hammers?

Fortunately for me i know quite a few big swingers down this way and a business solicitor with alot of clout that are now good friends .
I get good recommends who to work for and if they mess me about they get messed about by the powers that be if they require work .

I pick and choose my jobs and anything that i dont like or looks to much hassle then i simply dont do .I probably do about 3 medium sized installs (10 k ish) and a couple bigger ones and price right it pays well .

The biggest rats that i have come across are the big gas companies biggest scum bags of the lot could never get paid
carillion scum ,mears nuisance, eaga super scum,liberty bag of scum

Its the gas ones which is my trade is where i have had biggest hassle

The ardmore group are known to be ruthless but as a subbie working labour only i found they were briliiant

swings roundabouts as they say

I'd stick to Joe public if I were you.

My brother was done for just north of 200k which sent his business (Large gas provider) to the wall and my old man was done for 13k (Local Social Housing Contractor).

Having worked for 4 social housing contractors (at manager and director level) I was shocked as to the sharp practice which is the accepted norm to rip contractors and merchants off.

From top to bottom there were fiddles, cons, illegal practice, embezzlement and low profit margins (around 4/5%), destined for failure.

3 out of the 4 have been taken over and on all occassions the contractors didn't get paid. At least if you work for standard customers you only have that one job as a financial risk and you can weigh them in your favour if you're wise.

I got out of that side of the industry as I've never seen so many bare faced crooks messing it up for the honest people trying to do a good job there.

Yes there are success stories but more trajedys. Steer clear!

Back