Immersion Heater not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion Heater not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

N

nrico2006

Hi,

Having a problem with the central heating at the moment, boiler not firing up so not getting hot water. I went and switched the immersion heater on in the kitchen and I got no water from this either. I have lived in the house for 2 years and never switched the immersion on before.

I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could hep with:

(1) Is it possible the immersion isn't working due to lack of use (limescale build up?)?
(2) There are two switches in the hot press/airing cupboard beside the cylinder, should these be both on or off? What exactly are these switches for and when should they be on/off?
(3) Is the thermostat the device at the top of the cylinder that is like a small tea cup screwed on? Then what is the wee dial half way down the cylinder for? How is it different?

Apologies for the stupid questions.

One on top is the electric water heater, this should have a wire from it to one of the switch's, The one lower down on side is the water thermostat for when boiler is working

A piccie would have helped, never mind.
The teacup thing is likely to be your immersion heater.
Follow the wire leading away from it to the wall switch and that's the one you want.
If it doesn't work when you switch it on then you'll need to call someone who can repair it.
If your heating is broken too then get a GSR engineer and they'll be able to repair one or both dependent on your budget.

in answer to your questions
1. No, scale should not cause immersion to fail if not used.
2. as above follow cable it should go back to switch which should be on.
3. cylinder thermostat halfway down controls the temperature of hot water heated via the boiler the other one on top is for the immersion heater thermostat both should be set to around 60 - 65 deg C.

Thanks for your advice guys.

So generally should the immersion switch (running to the top of the cylinder) be turned off if I am relying on my oil to heat the water? Is it ok to keep the immersion switch on if I am relying on oil heating?

I will try the immersion tonight again. How long roughly should it take to heat the water enough to run a small bath? If the immersion does not work, what else should I troublshoot - check the fuse box to see if the immersion caused a trip? If this is fine and the switches are on, is it looking likely that it is the heating element that is faulty?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just a thought but did you check the fuse box...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
E
Is it an unvented cylinder? Sounds like issue...
Replies
Views
that’s a bit of a bodge if you ask me. cheap...
Replies
Views
Back