In need of advice on Rayburn flue system. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss In need of advice on Rayburn flue system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plucky

Called out to a customer with an old rayburn.

They had reported smell of fumes coming from stairwell, which is nect to the chimney. On inspection via hatch in register plate this is what I found.

flue1.jpg
flue2.jpg
flue3.jpg
flue4.jpg

What is my best course of action?

The appliance is running on Oil. I dont know whether the seal from the bit you can see has fallen out or something?

The flue external diameter is 5.75" and cast iron so a 5" liner would drop down but I am unsure of flue fittings t use to make the connections to the starter section from the boiler and the terminal etc for the top.

The chimney is also serving an 2 open fires so would need to take that into consideration when terminating at the top.

Work would be undertaken with OFTEC engineer but he only does servicing hence him bringing me on on the job.

Any advice greatly recieved.

I am not an oil engineer but if this was gas it'd be upsie down. I'd assume it to be the case for oil too? You are looking up the chimney yeh?

I am not an oil engineer but if this was gas it'd be upsie down. I'd assume it to be the case for oil too? You are looking up the chimney yeh?
i agree flues upside down,if you were using a flue liner(can you use single wall liner on oil?)you would be either replacing the section down to the rayburn in 5" il using a kopex to il adaptor ,and a draft hood connector on the appliance or using enamel with a liner connector

The flue pipe is upside down,even the connection off the top of the flue box of the cooker is,it's surprising how often it's done that way,but as in the chimney,fire cement falls out and then condensation can run down the pipe too.

As you say a 5'' liner would be fine,there are plenty of fittings available to adapt to a cowl at the top(I prefer the vedette). I would replace the cast iron connecting to the Rayburn too.There should be a 600mm straight piece before any bends(which mustn't be more than 135degrees)There are adaptors to connect 5"enamelled pipe to flue liners.

That looks like a Rayburn Royal M/F to me,it was originally a solid fuel cooker and has been converted to oil,the flue temperature isn't high enough to require a class 1 flue liner so a class 2(single skin)would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks John Using the flue WILL cause problems...
Replies
Views
I’ve moved this to the gs area as the op has...
2 3
Replies
Views
A
thanks guys .... will look into it mhs blah...
Replies
Views
aligorgon
A
N
You can definately flue a Keston up a chimney.
Replies
Views
tackleburger
T
S
ALL very helpful. Thanks a lot. I'll let you...
Replies
Views
spantik
S
Back