Is it ok to bend an old 15mm copper pipe in situ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is it ok to bend an old 15mm copper pipe in situ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Do or DIY

I'm fitting a new kitchen and the existing 15mm cold water feed pipe that supplies the dishwasher now comes up exactly under the corner of the new unit. The pipe is about 6 inches (remember those) proud of the tiled floor with a dishwasher connector. The floorunder the tiles is concrete and the pipe is embedded in that.

Is it safe to remove the connector and bend the pipe a little bit whilst it's in situ. I reckon it needs to bend approx 20 degrees to the left then the connector will be free of the cupboard. Otherwise it means cutting the pipe and reconnecting it closer to the floor - but I'm concerned it will be a bit stubby.

I've got a pipe bending spring but I don't know which is the best thing to do. I'd like the easiest option (which I reckon is bend it) but I don't know if it's a sensible thing to do.

Any advice welcome :)

yeah its ok to bend, just as long as thats what you are doing, bending the pipe and not putting any stress on the fitting

If you're not confident to do that, bend a new piece of pipe and cut the old pipe back then solder the new pipe on

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I was planning to take the connector off, stick the pipe spring down it and bend it 'a bit'. Then put the connector back on.

I wondered if old pipe behaves any differently to new pipe.

old imperial pipe is thicker, stronger and harder to bend, thats if it is imperial

If the old pipe has been cut with a wheel type pipe cutter, you won't get the spring down. Just do as I say!!! :freak:

Aha - won't know till I get the connector off and have look. That's tomorrow night's job I reckon. I try to bend it first but if that's not possible I'll shorten the pipe ... and no. 3 option is ... just quickly learn to solder and then solder on a pre-bent pipe :)

If you try to bend it and it kinks at floor level, that will be Gods punishment for not following my instructions to the letter! THERE WILL BE TEARS!!!!

Yes I know :-( that's what worries me. I might practice bending on a bit of pipe the same length and see how feasible it is first. Else it probably ought to be soldering lessons I guess. I'm pretty nifty with a blow torch on my Creme Brulees so that's a useful starting point I spose.

There are plenty of video tips on tinternet re. soldering. Buy a few end feed straight couplers and get a bit of pipe and have a go. It only took me 23 years to get as awesome as I am so get started first thing!

Alternatively, get a plumber out. It shouldn't cost more than £40 and it will be done properly (Probably with a new valve!)

Well of course you are right again - but you know what they say about good plumbers and hens teeth. Had some duff experiences in the recent past so most small things now I consider tackling myself first. I like the idea of learning a new skill - only ever done things with connectors, loos and radiators before. So I'll have a practice and decide when I see the end results. 20 minutes ago I thought I'd decided what to do...now I'm not so sure :thinking:

Get a couple of 15mm speedfit elbows and make it easy for yourself.

I have to agree with TAMZ, to get your self started with a soldering kit, will be around £60
to get a couple push fit/ compression fittings and a bit of pipe will cost you about £20,
and you wont wreck your new floor, burn your house down or have to worry at all.

£60?! He don't want a Superfire 2 and a kilo of La-co!

So would speedfit connectors be ok on old pipe? I can clean the paint off it but it wouldn't be perfect. Re: worrying - I worry about everything.

Well normally you would heat the paint with a blowlamp and wipe it off with wire wool or a pad but you'll have to do it the hard way if you don't have a lamp.

use a file to get the paint off, buy a cheap soldering kit from B&Q and make sure pipework is clean with steel wool and flux and then heat up around the fitting, get solder ring fittings and get some lead free solder aswell when the solder starts to melt and come out of the fitting add some more to be on the safe side

he said he wants to do it himself, he can keep the stuff for next time

best to scrape paint off, would need to do this if you were soldering any how, get as much as possible off and then give it a rub with a scourer.

ask for the plumber in B&Q, he will show you what you need

They're all qualified plumbers so may as well slip him a score to come round and stuff it up for you. You can then ask one of us to sort it for you!!!

blowtorch £20-£30
gas £13
Solder £6
flux £6
Wire wool £4
(estimated price)

that isnt a super fire or a kilo of la-co,

Blow torch with gas £20 - Screwfix
Solder and flux £8 - Screwfix
Wire wool £2 - Any diy shop

Neither is that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks!! Not sure how I haven't seen that...
Replies
Views
I always use an insert in any plastic/poly...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
i dont mind extra work but its a question of...
Replies
Views
Back