Is it ok to bend an old 15mm copper pipe in situ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is it ok to bend an old 15mm copper pipe in situ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
blowtorch £20-£30
gas £13
Solder £6
flux £6
Wire wool £4
(estimated price)

that isnt a super fire or a kilo of la-co,
yea! or £40 for some one to do it?.
providing you dont naff up the copper tail or preceeding elbow under the floor d.i.y other wise double it.
good luck.

The bloke asked for advice and he has lots to choose from. If he ballses it up he may learn from his mistake and leave it to the mesters. If he sorts it, there will be an outside tap going on then a new boiler with an unvented cylinder & underfloor heating!

Last edited:
Blow torch with gas £20 - ScrewfixSolder and flux £8 - ScrewfixWire wool £2 - Any diy shopNeither is that!!
I hope you aint using those on your every day plumbing, very proffesional. I'm worried how you know so much about them, obviously your work is so bad you need to cut back on expenditure as your not making any money from plumbing.Good on him, if he wants to learn and give it a go, we should encourage more people to diy, then there will be less work for us plumbers, hey I got an idea, I might open a training centre, seems to be the only way to make money out of pllumbing.

I hope you aint using those on your every day plumbing, very proffesional. I'm worried how you know so much about them, obviously your work is so bad you need to cut back on expenditure as your not making any money from plumbing.Good on him, if he wants to learn and give it a go, we should encourage more people to diy, then there will be less work for us plumbers, hey I got an idea, I might open a training centre, seems to be the only way to make money out of pllumbing.

Pllumbing? :freak: :iamwithstupid:

It took me 5 minutes to look it up on tinternet Dilbert! And don't you EVER judge me! That is Jesus's job

Pllumbing? :freak: :iamwithstupid:It took me 5 minutes to look it up on tinternet Dilbert! And don't you EVER judge me! That is Jesus's job
Really? You obviouslly have to much timme on your handds, are you actualy a pllumber or just a forrum adicct

stick to the thread topic, be civil to each other or go else where.
if you need help, let me know.

to the op

if you are going to try bending the pipe make sure you heat it right up with a blowtorch as this will soften the copper (annealing) and make it easier to bend and less likely to cause problems elsewhere on the pipe from the stress of bending.

otherwise just use speedfit fittings and fit a new piece of pipe.

let us know what you end up doing.......

KJ

Don't forget to quench with water while the pipe is still hot for better results

to the op

if you are going to try bending the pipe make sure you heat it right up with a blowtorch as this will soften the copper (annealing) and make it easier to bend and less likely to cause problems elsewhere on the pipe from the stress of bending.

otherwise just use speedfit fittings and fit a new piece of pipe.

let us know what you end up doing.......

KJ

Would this not melt the solder on a nearby joint under the floor and cause a leak though? (only asking as I'm relatively new to the game - will bow down to yours and others experience and knowledge).

You can melt solder on nearby fittings but you do have to use a lot of heat very nearby to be unlucky in my experience. Just think about how long you need to heat a joint to make solder run anyway - keep under that and you should be ok. I've risked it quite a few times and been lucky so far. The amount of heat to just soften the pipe a bit, probably not an issue.

I wouldn't even consider bending the pipe in situ. unless I had loads of time on my hands and some spare tiles. You have no idea what's under them tiles, there could be compression joint just under the surface which you could damage. Thre could be a soldered joint which you may melt if you heat it.

Don't get me wrong it may all go hunky-dory as jobs do 50% of the time but the potential risk of having to damage tiles and floor is far too great for my liking. Cut it off and fit compression joints, play it safe.

I wouldn't even consider bending the pipe in situ. unless I had loads of time on my hands and some spare tiles. You have no idea what's under them tiles, there could be compression joint just under the surface which you could damage. Thre could be a soldered joint which you may melt if you heat it.

Don't get me wrong it may all go hunky-dory as jobs do 50% of the time but the potential risk of having to damage tiles and floor is far too great for my liking. Cut it off and fit compression joints, play it safe.

I totally agree with this above - I'd solder a new length on and expect most others here to do the same BUT I can solder and learning this skill on a vertical dirty pipe 6" off the floor wouldn't be a lot of joy I reckon.........

Is there room to cut the olive off, preferably with a pipeslice and still leave sufficient length to fully insert a pushfit elbow, such as "Speedfit"...............................?

cut it down slightly and put a 90 degree elbow or 45 degree elbow and work from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks!! Not sure how I haven't seen that...
Replies
Views
I always use an insert in any plastic/poly...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
i dont mind extra work but its a question of...
Replies
Views
Back