Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really simple, you need to speak to social services and your housing supplier, explain your problems and get them to offer solutions.

This is really simple, you need to speak to social services and your housing supplier, explain your problems and get them to offer solutions.

I called for help today off them. I was told can't help me yet they are putting new boilers in just round the corner. I also called about the flue the other day as dust is coming in as the plastic flap is not tight against inside wall. I asked him if he could make one go walkies and I would pay him he said they are all ordered as needed and have electronic tags on them. He told me to turn all the heaters down to 2 except the living room. I can't understand why it's so much more. I spoke to a plumber today he told me to ask for new radiators as the one's I have are 25 years old and burn more gas than the new radiators. I am trying to get all the information I can before I call my MP. So if you can help me out with if I new boiler would save me much money. As I calculated I am losing 10p for every £1 I am losing £6. And my fire is literally burning money. According to chalk if I remember correctly I am losing 40p for every £1 for my gas fire. So I have been told by everyone I am cheaper using my central heating than the fire even though I am only in the living room. I thought I was saving money by not using the central heating as it's heating every room instead of just the one room I am in.

On a different note are you on a pre-payment meter.
If you are and owe the gas company money or potentially the previous tenant owed money to the gas supplier a percentage of each £ that you put on the meter will go off to paying that debt thus you might only be using a small amount of gas but paying back a heftier chunk of debt.
Also if I am barking up the wrong tree with the above comments gas usage is relative, if you have the temp right up then you will use more gas or if you have all the rads on low the boiler may be cycling which is inefficient.
Finally if you have moved in and brought your old marble fire surround and own gas fire, was the fire correctly fitted for you by a gas safe registered engineer and gas rated, etc.
Failing that the property may be poorly insulated/drafty which is causing a significant heat loss.
Hope this helps,
Allgoode

I am in a 2 bedroom 4 in a block house groundfloor with 2 bedrooms of which I don't use the radiator in the back bedroom and I am £61 a month and I am on my own I can't afford to heat the house the way I want to. And I am in debt to the supplier.
This may be the main issue. Sounds like the gas supply company are taking a fair chunk of money for debt repayment

The OP is in debt because her heating bills are higher now than at her previuos property, and she didn't increase here direct debit.

My advice is: STOP LOOKING FOR THE SOLUTION YOURSELF, a new boiler may well not be the answer, as far as the Housing provider is concerned, they will consider your request as just noise.

You need social services to come round and assess your needs, if there are problems with your heating system / you can't afford it, then they can apply far more pressure on your housing provider than you can - they can actually enforce certain changes / enhancements, and may be able to help with the outstanidng amounts to the energy provider - in certain circumstances they can get it written off.

On a different note are you on a pre-payment meter.
If you are and owe the gas company money or potentially the previous tenant owed money to the gas supplier a percentage of each £ that you put on the meter will go off to paying that debt thus you might only be using a small amount of gas but paying back a heftier chunk of debt.
Also if I am barking up the wrong tree with the above comments gas usage is relative, if you have the temp right up then you will use more gas or if you have all the rads on low the boiler may be cycling which is inefficient.
Finally if you have moved in and brought your old marble fire surround and own gas fire, was the fire correctly fitted for you by a gas safe registered engineer and gas rated, etc.
Failing that the property may be poorly insulated/drafty which is causing a significant heat loss.
Hope this helps,
Allgoode
I just moved in last year I brought my marble fireplace and fire with me as I lost thousands of pounds by leaving my white high gloss kitchen I bought when I was working oh and by the way when I viewed the property I was then told by letter that is the day you moved in. you want to have seen it and I had to pay for the 2 properties! When I moved in it was prepayment metres and it was Scottish Power I they were with which I wouldn't advise anyone to go with. Took me months to get away from them said their systems were down etc. Told me Scottish Hydro hadn't sent them anything and they had sent them everything anyway it's a long story and over 13 hours on the phone to them.

But the people before me did oew them and everyone else thousands. I had to call up and tell all the companies they were dead as the sherrif officers were coming. But I got set to zero and because of my health conditions I got standard metres fitted for free. I often wonder if they set the meter up to get the money back.

Yes the fire was fitted correctly with corgi registered gas fitter. the chimney wasn't swept because of the time scale and I keep getting bits of coalcoming out the base of the fire I am looking at some now. And a wee hint to anyone don't touch with your bare hands. So the coals are damaged I take it. I have new windows and doors. And cavity wall insulation was already done when I moved in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP is in debt because her heating bills are higher now than at her previuos property, and she didn't increase here direct debit.

My advice is: STOP LOOKING FOR THE SOLUTION YOURSELF, a new boiler may well not be the answer, as far as the Housing provider is concerned, they will consider your request as just noise.

You need social services to come round and assess your needs, if there are problems with your heating system / you can't afford it, then they can apply far more pressure on your housing provider than you can - they can actually enforce certain changes / enhancements, and may be able to help with the outstanidng amounts to the energy provider - in certain circumstances they can get it written off.

I called occupational therapist today to see if they could help they said no. Who are social services as I haven't a clue about all this and it was just pure luck the lady asked me if I had any health problems when I called about new meters. And I got them for free be.cause of that

You need to talk to environmental health, citizens advice bureau and the gas Co itself.

You're asking us for a definitive answer to your problem but, other than a rough guess at best there's really not much we can do for you.

Having read this thread through a couple of times now I feel that things have been taken for granted by all parties, although in your case I will concede that you probably weren't to know.

But if it's affecting your health you really do need to contact environmental health.

You need to talk to environmental health, citizens advice bureau and the gas Co itself.

You're asking us for a definitive answer to your problem but, other than a rough guess at best there's really not much we can do for you.

Having read this thread through a couple of times now I feel that things have been taken for granted by all parties, although in your case I will concede that you probably weren't to know.

But if it's affecting your health you really do need to contact environmental health.

OK thank you I really appreciate all the input people have gave me I googled social services and I am calling them tomorrow. Thank you for letting me know that. I will Google environmental health just now as another contact to call if social services can't help me.

From the way you speak (type) i take it you are in Scotland.
Firstly, no one should move their gas supply direct debit from one property to another. You leave one property and settle up any difference then start again in the new one.
Thats the way it is
If they have just put you on a direct debit based on the previous tenant take meter readings and ring them or internet them with actual meter readings. Very easy with the Hydro.
Moving on
Step 2, go talk to citizens advice and explain your situation. They will liaise with any 3rd parties
Step 3, speak to social services (or ask cit advice to do so on your behalf)

We are only plumbers and you need more help than we can give you.

From the way you speak (type) i take it you are in Scotland.
Firstly, no one should move their gas supply direct debit from one property to another. You leave one property and settle up any difference then start again in the new one.
Thats the way it is
If they have just put you on a direct debit based on the previous tenant take meter readings and ring them or internet them with actual meter readings. Very easy with the Hydro.
Moving on
Step 2, go talk to citizens advice and explain your situation. They will liaise with any 3rd parties
Step 3, speak to social services (or ask cit advice to do so on your behalf)

We are only plumbers and you need more help than we can give you.

Yes I am Scottish mate. Does it really stand out in typing? That's amazing, anyway no it was me who told them what to take direct debit as I thought it would be about the same. And to my shock it's not. I had a plumber in saying it's of the highest efficiency. My boiler that is but that doesn't make sense for a boiler that he's been able to get spare parts for 10 years. Surely newer boilers are more efficient? Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice I wouldn't know what to do without you's! And I will never forget the help I have had off you's!

Listen carefully mate because it seems you don't want to accept the same answer you've been getting from several contributors which is that your boiler is fine despite it's age.

If you really want to know what is cheaper to run then use your fire (only) for a day and then do the same for the central heating making a note of the gas meter reading (units) at the start and end of the day(s) as long as both days are of similar temperature of course.

Read Tamz contribution again.

Listen carefully mate because it seems you don't want to accept the same answer you've been getting from several contributors which is that your boiler is fine despite it's age.

If you really want to know what is cheaper to run then use your fire (only) for a day and then do the same for the central heating making a note of the gas meter reading (units) at the start and end of the day(s) as long as both days are of similar temperature of course.

Read Tamz contribution again.

Not at all I do believe what I have been told I was just wondering if there were more efficient boilers. Fires not going on again be as well throwing money up the chimney. I am planning on doing a test with the heating on all day and see what it's using. Just want to be right about everything before I start making calls on Monday. And I am glad of all the input.

Your boiler is not your problem. You need help with other underlying factors in your property

Last edited:
Can I ask why you would be entitled to a more efficient boiler than the one you currently have?

Your boiler is not your problem. You need help with other underlying factors in your property

Yes I know that but I can't seem to figure it out. It's got cavity wall insulation, new windows and doors. Is it as simple as radiators as these are at least 25 years old.

It's a larger property isn't it ???

It's a larger property isn't it ???

Yes but not massively and the plumber I had in is in a 3 bedroom up and downstairs and bigger than my house £46 a month. My sister is in an even bigger house than that with 4 bedrooms 2 toilets etc. Bath every day for the youngest shower for the other 3 2 adults 2 kids £60 a month. So it can't be that or can it?

I have replied several times to this person even give them a rough breakdown on what they will save & how long it will take to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler, But they seem determined to spend out on replacing a boiler thinking its going to save them money on gas in a property that's not even there's, Told them the heating is-not there problem but don't want to listen, So if it makes you feel happy go ahead and spend your money on a new boiler, I'm sure the council would like all there tenants to do the same, it would save them a fortune

I have replied several times to this person even give them a rough breakdown on what they will save & how long it will take to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler, But they seem determined to spend out on replacing a boiler thinking its going to save them money on gas in a property that's not even there's, Told them the heating is-not there problem but don't want to listen, So if it makes you feel happy go ahead and spend your money on a new boiler, I'm sure the council would like all there tenants to do the same, it would save them a fortune

You have me wrong I like to be double sure before I start a fight. And it is a fight. That's all and I am more than sure now sorry if you feel unvalued but you are well and truly valued my friend.

You have me wrong I like to be double sure before I start a fight. And it is a fight. That's all and I am more than sure now sorry if you feel unvalued but you are well and truly valued my friend.

A fight for what? A new boiler free of charge when there's nothing wrong with yours? I don't really understand the point of this.

I maintain the problem is in your house and is not the boiler To be honest I would go back to what Tamz said and actually get some people in to assess your property for its heat and energy efficiency.

Last edited:
A fight for what? A new boiler free of charge when there's nothing wrong with yours? I don't really understand the point of this.
A fight for anything off them no not a boiler, but plumber did say that these type of systems were fitted when the back boiler was behind the fire. And are at least 25 years old even the energy company is bamboozled with the amount of units I used over the year and want £140 to test the meter. As they think the meter maybe at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back