Is this guy a real plumber? Blocked sink | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this guy a real plumber? Blocked sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plumber obviously not dealing with a full deck, don't let him back in house.
Or 2 cans short of a six pack.

I wonder if the "plumber" was in fact the letting agency guy himself trying to save a few quid? He didn't have any tools or knowledge of what he was doing. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paragon probably sent the workshop donkey round to show face. Its the Edinburgh trades holidays so the real ones will probably be sunning themselves abroad.

EDIT: Just saw this has been going for 5 weeks..!! Get on the Phone to Environmental health and Trading standards. The letting agent is duty bound to inform the landlord and the landlord is duty bound to correct any defects in the property within a reasonable time. "Reasonable" is the key word of course but I would assume 5 weeks is taking the proverbial..

Last edited:
Just tell letting agent you are calling someone in and will deduct cost from rent, make sure that you provide a invoice from repair Co.

Just tell letting agent you are calling someone in and will deduct cost from rent, make sure that you provide a invoice from repair Co.

Not always help. Had to replace pump on my boiler, it was over weekend, couldn't get hold of landlord or agent. Haven't got paid for it even if I gave them receipt from merchant and pictures what I've done. So be careful or you may end-up with empty pocket.

Can you see the drain at which the sink waste terminates and if so is this clear

Sorry I cannot. I am two floors up and I've followed the drain but it goes into the floor. No pipes come from the flat above so I presume its not just going into the main at that point or the neighbours below (currently unoccupied but asked landlord and no mention of blockage there). Asked neighbours above and to the side but nobody else is blocked. Stripping the pipe may be difficult depending on where it goes after that. I got the bendy 6 meter snake thing in close to where it goes into the floor but didn't hit the blockage. Thats why we initially tried putting some horrible chemicals in there but really regretted it.

To be fair we were lucky the cocktail of stuff the contractor guy added didn't catalyse with the chemicals already in there and create dangerous reactions.

Check your tenancy agreement and see where you stand. I am a landlord and my tenancy agreement states that I have to fix problems such as this in a 'reasonable time' otherwise the tenant is within their rights to not pay rent for the time they are inconvenienced.
Lack of payment from yourself would probably be the quickest way to get this rectified. I know letting agents will panic if they have to tell the landlord why he's not getting all his money this month.

The agreement cites repairs such as drain blocks to be done 'as soon as reasonably possible' which means they are in breach of this but I'm not sure what we can do about that. The contract also stipulates we are not allowed to withhold or deduct anything from the rent and have a big list of expensive charges for any late payements. hmm I wonder if I can send them similar charges for late repairs.

Don't get it jetted, pumping loads of water in a blocked system will not help!!!! If it's bothering you just pay and claim it back. Sounds like it needs stripping down and manually clearing out, letting agents have odd job men not plumbers. Sometimes it better to pay and get on with your lives, it sucks but not as much as a house that stinks. What ever you do don't withhold rent, it breaches your contract which will be expensive! Good luck.

Reaching it may be a problem. It goes into the floor under the kitchen units, possibly into the wall once under the floor and as we are on the third floor, presumably goes down from there. Drain in the toilet or the one in the shower room are unaffected.

mmmm....

I can imagine a long and tortuours run of near horizontal 40mm push fit that will easily blow apart under the floor if pressure is used.

The agreement cites repairs such as drain blocks to be done 'as soon as reasonably possible' which means they are in breach of this but I'm not sure what we can do about that. The contract also stipulates we are not allowed to withhold or deduct anything from the rent and have a big list of expensive charges for any late payements. hmm I wonder if I can send them similar charges for late repairs.

I think a claim for consequential loss might be considered in a Court of Law for such things as laundry charges if you have been unable to use your washing machine, and things such as that.

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau is the best place to get free advice on your legal position.

Landlords tend to be a savvy bunch, but if they see a letter that looks like it’s based on sound legal advice it will often make them think again.

CAB will give you the necessary legal advice, and help with setting the letter out if needs be. Set out the nature of your claim, and state an estimated daily cost re your loss.

Send it by Recorded Delivery (only cost just over a quid) and I bet your landlord gets this issue sorted in no time at all.

[FONT=&amp]Always keep in mind the words of the good Captain: “They don’t like it up em!”[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
hi! I'll try to upload a picture but the pipe...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
S
Replies
Views
I had exactly the same problem. Fixed it by...
Replies
Views
Back