Is this price right? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this price right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

s-r-jones

Have been send an invoice for £5,250.
Plumbing is staying in position, no piping being moved.
All new fixtures etc are being paid by myself so are not included in this price.

Bathroom is 1.7width 2.2depth 2.4height metres.

Details:
Remove old bathroom suite and all tiles plus tiled plasterboard.
Tiles are only on one wall, 1.7x2.4metres wall.

Fit shower pipework into wall, move bath along wall so small shelf will be at tap side.

Insulate exposed walls and plasterboard walls with waterproof board.
Again this is only one wall 1.7x2.2metres

Chase basin pipework into the wall (so no boxing required).
Plaster basin window walls (2.2x2.4metres).
Supply plywood for floor as base for lino. fit lino.

Fit Only:
Chrome towl radiator.
W.c., basin, bath and bath panel. (plumbing does not have to be moved.)
Tile bath shower wall and panel plus basin splashback (1.7x2.2metres) (supply adhesive and grout).
Tiles will be brick style.
Shower valve/kit and shower curtain.
Clear away rubbish.
Labour and fixing/building materials.

Total of quote 4,375 plus 875 VAT totaling 5,250.

Is this a fair quote?
Details above are all from invoice sent by plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxfordshire is location.
Just seems like huge amount considering they dont have to actually move any pipes.
How long do you think it would take? I believe it is two brothers who are in partnership with each other who will be doing the work.
Its a quote not an invoice!
I was expecting about £2000.
I wouldnt of through it would take more than 3 day to be honest, and price they gave me would mean theyre charging nearly £1000 a day per person.

Oxfordshire is location.
Just seems like huge amount considering they dont have to actually move any pipes.
How long do you think it would take? I believe it is two brothers who are in partnership with each other who will be doing the work.
I wouldnt of through it would take more than 3 day to be honest, and price they gave me would mean theyre charging nearly £1000 a day per person.

Where do you get 1k per day per person, if you think it's three days work for two men, then that's 6k the quote was only 5,250. Also, tradesmen don't get materials for free you know :)

get another quote and compare the two.

If their work is spot on I.e you have seen a finished bathroom they have done and it faultless I would say that's not to bad. You pay for finish with bathrooms. Get another quote if your worried .

You say you been sent an invoice of £5250 ,
did you not get an estimate of works first?

In think you should step back and try again.

An INVOICE IS ONLY SENT FOR WORK CARRIED OUT.

You might have had a quotation or a fixed price contract
We ONLY produce fixed price contracts as quotations can be varied legally
by the issuer - I know - my Mrs is a barrister lady ! It is difficult for a contracter
to produce a fixed price often because of
1. Incompetance
2. Uncertain unknowns - write this into the contract
3. project dates as materail prices might vary

so we just stick 28 days on ours - this tends tp make customers make their
minds up
All new fixtures etc are being paid by myself so are not included in this price.

Details:

Fit shower pipework into wall, move bath along wall so small shelf will be at tap side.

Fit Only:
Chrome towl radiator.
Tile bath shower wall and panel plus basin splashback (1.7x2.2metres) (supply adhesive and grout).
Clear away rubbish.

Is this a fair quote?

Get a plumbing operation that has not breached their vat threshold and then not pay the vat on their labour - we all pay vat on the stuff OFTEN SMALL IS BEST

Details:

Fit Only:
Chrome towl radiator.
Clear away rubbish.

Is this a fair quote?

Get a couple more quotes and get them to detail the work to be carried out. Did the first quote come recommended?

Your original post mentions chasing pipes into walls & some other pipe work to be moved but then you say that you seem to think that as there's no pipe work to be moved it should be cheaper!

From this I can assume, in my opinion, that you may be slightly confused as to what is to be carried out. So, I would recommend that you have a conversation with the plumber(s) who have quoted to do this work so that you understand what work is to be undertaken. I would also recommend as others have said, seek a couple more quotes to be able to make a comparison!

These threads about what is a fair price are stupid, we are all just guessing about the work involved? Pointless !!!!

You also say there is a chrome towel radiator to be fitted .I would say the original pipes would have to be adjusted for that. when they chase pipework in wall it will require plastering, are you supplying the plaster?. the plywood will have to be screwed down with lots of screws.are you supplying the screws? The list goes on....

It's a simple job to price up the cost of the materials. You then ask them how many days (man-days) it will take to install. Deduct the cost of the materials from the quote. Divide the result by the number of man days and ask yourself is that a fair days pay for the service and skill being provided.

Oxfordshire is location.

Why not ask the contractors?

You have taken up their time, most likely received advice and guidance about how to approach the project most likely free of charge and you expect us to price the alleged job blind?

Brothers or arch enemies (could be both) they have to live and are prepared to work to fund their living expenses.

A quote instead of an estimate means they are covering every eventuality, what's your problem?

I know you will get cheaper, but will you get value?

either way, you supply all materials required and i will do it for £3,500 all in for up to 2 weeks labour meals included.

as long as you live in europe.!

To be honest, this is not 3 days work, you are looking at 1-2 days chasing walls and moving pipes.
Your op says that it wont need any pipes moving but they will need to be put in the walls so they will be moved.
Then you have got plasterboard, insulation, plaster, grout, adhesive and ply wood.

The tiles are brick style so 2-3 days to do this properly,
plastering 2 days (+ a day to dry)
plus rubbish removal
plus fitting new appliances

so in total you are looking at around £1000 materials plus 10-12 days labour

4,375 - 1000 materials % 12 = £281 a day = £141 each per day (not including coming back and fixing any problems)

to be honest I could do this a lot cheaper as not vat registered and there is only one of me (and only live in Aylesbury)
but not bad to be honest.

it does look like more than 3 days work tbh, its too hard to comment over the internet. As others have suggested get a few ore quotes and compare them.

All I was saying was I could do it for less then that and I know for a fact I could, even if I contract the tiling, plastering etc, I don't usually give a price but as said before I am a small business,and dont pay vat,etc So will charge less then the company that quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you have the spare funds go ahead as it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The situation is as follows. I have a shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Much easier than that is to replace your bath...
Replies
Views
Your choice really mate the steam will affect...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It was just a thought. I had the experience of...
Replies
Views
Back