Job titles ? | General Plumbing Jobs Discussion | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter basildog
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 11K

Discuss Job titles ? in the General Plumbing Jobs Discussion area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Humble Apprentice is my job title. I always wondered about trying to explain typical job or company's services in one title since plumber/plumbing doesnt suggest that you do gas/appliance work, gas/heating engineer suggests you dont deal with drains.. Engineer suggests a qualified person, plumber suggests a tradesperson

<Rant>

So, if you're an engineer - you have a degree in engineering?

(I have .. )

Mechanical Engineer = Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineer = Degree in Electrical Engineering
Civil Engineer = Degree in Civil Engineering
Structural Engineer = Degree in Structural Engineering

So for Heating Engineer, that must be in thermodynamics then.

In Germany, Engineer has the same status as Dr..

Sorry guys most people that call themself an Engineer should be called a technician ...

Heating Technician, Air Conditioning Technician I go along with that.

Heating Engineer? Doubt one in 100 knows what entropy is

<Rant Over>

Last edited:
<rant>

so, if you're an engineer - you have a degree in engineering?

(i have .. )

mechanical engineer = degree in mechanical engineering
electrical engineer = degree in electrical engineering
civil engineer = degree in civil engineering
structural engineer = degree in structural engineering

So for heating engineer, that must be in thermodynamics then.

In germany, engineer has the same status as dr..

Sorry guys most people that call themself an engineer should be called a technician ...

Heating technician, air conditioning technician i go along with that.

Heating engineer? Doubt one in 100 knows what entropy is

<rant over>t

BIG HEAD, BET YOU CAN'T HAMMER A NAIL IN STRAIGHT, sorry seem to be shouting
:)
Entropy:
a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
"the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy always increases with time"

so everyone knows now :):)

Last edited by a moderator:
<Rant>

Heating Engineer? Doubt one in 100 knows what entropy is

<Rant Over>

its a measure of the number of specific ways in which a thermodynamic system may be arranged, commonly understood as a measure of disorder.

.....Booom! How do ya like them apples!! I'm not even an engineer, just a crash bang wallop installer.

<Rant>....

So, if you're an engineer - you have a degree in engineering?

<Rant Over>

Hi Gordon.

My old man was apprenticed as a tool maker from 14, spent 20 years learning his trade in various "engineering" workshops, and then went on to run the production facilities at Roots group, finishing his career as production manager at Hoover.

He also lectured in engineering at university, and both Roots and Hoover would fly him all over the world to troubleshoot their equipment.

However, he didn't have a degree himself.

You can tell him he isn't a real engineer if you like. The old boy is in his late 80s, but I don't have the bottle.

Well Gordon I do . I did a degree in chemical process engineering . It was a lot of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and lots of maths. And some chemistry. Entropy, enthalpy Gibbs free energy...... Tensor calculus, Fourier transform infrared mass spectrometry...... .
Oh also did some PhD research on fuel cell technology . Sodium borahydride and methanol.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a measure of the number of specific ways in which a thermodynamic system may be arranged, commonly understood as a measure of disorder.

.....Booom! How do ya like them apples!! I'm not even an engineer, just a crash bang wallop installer.

took you long enough to google :), I had heard of it, had to check though lol

Always thought you a know it all :)

Well Gordon I do . I did a degree in chemical process engineering . It was a lot of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and lots of maths. And some chemistry. Entropy, enthalpy Gibbs free energy...... Tensor calculus, Fourier transform infrared mass spectrometry...... .

I know what makes a cow fart! years of training and hard work to learn that :)

Syllables?
is an English sweet dish described by the Oxford English Dictionary as "A drink or dish made of milk or cream, curdled by the admixture of wine, cider, or other acid, and often sweetened and flavoured."

nice!

Syllables?
is an English sweet dish described by the Oxford English Dictionary as "A drink or dish made of milk or cream, curdled by the admixture of wine, cider, or other acid, and often sweetened and flavoured."

nice!

.... That's syllabub you tool. ...

I'm a blow torch technician and a pipe bending magician lol

<Rant> / <Rant Over> Well that livened up the discussion :)

I have plenty of respect for those that know their trade, else I couldn't do my job :) I employ and rely on their expertise to do their job right first time.

And I know that 99% of you could solder a pipe a million times better than me.

What gets my goat is that far far too many times we have to go and fix badly designed and badly installed systems where the original installer just doesn't want to know after they've been paid...

Every one of you can do something better than me, and I can learn something from each of you.

<Rant> / <Rant Over> Well that livened up the discussion :)

I have plenty of respect for those that know their trade, else I couldn't do my job :) I employ and rely on their expertise to do their job right first time.

And I know that 99% of you could solder a pipe a million times better than me.

What gets my goat is that far far too many times we have to go and fix badly designed and badly installed systems where the original installer just doesn't want to know after they've been paid...

Every one of you can do something better than me, and I can learn something from each of you.

you learned what entropy is :)

I deliberately call myself plumber, even though I work mainly in commercial heating and pipefitting, because by giving ourselves other crazy titles we take away from what a plumber is, I'm an nvq level 3 plumber and I was trained in heating and got my gas acs so why should we confuse the public with "heating engineer" plumber should cover it. The public should know that a plumber means the person who takes care of any mechanical services in your property gas, heating, domestic water or drainage that's what we're trained to do not just bathroom fitter or gas fitter. Dumbs the job down

I'm an "Artist - using non ferrous metals".

Or Professor pipe.

Or Doctor Dan - The plumbing Man.

Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Tank if forty years old so think it's out of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, the problems been ongoing since we moved...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Is the main drain vented? Sounds like the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
And it's fixed! Had someone move the EV from...
Replies
Views
Back