just bought a new house and the boilers gone | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss just bought a new house and the boilers gone in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber89

just in the process of buying a house (due to move in new year) the customer has just told the estate agent their old boiler has broken down so they will be changeing it, only thing is i was going to put a combi boiler in when i moved, they have asked me what i would like them do , as they dont want to pay for a new boiler if im going to rip it out
I dont deal with gas at all , as im not gas/ safe and hardly deal with heating systems as im a bathroom fitter , so havent really got a clue
just need some advice
What is the cost difference between a normal boiler and a combi, (likeish for like)
what size combi would i need if it was installed in a 3 bedroom house,
and what are the best makes /prices of boilers to go for
Also a side note , there is only one bathroom at the moment but i will be adding an ensuite, do i need to get a higher killer watt combi if running off two bathrooms?

i dont have a clue when it comes to boilers/ gas, so please excuse my ignorance

Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Goes on your hot water demand,

U got 1 bathroom?
How many rads also do you have?

Combi is space saving - ideal for say just 1 bathroom and kitchen demand

thanks for quick reply,
got 3 bedrooms upstairs a bathroom and small landing
downstairs have 1 large front room/ diner with 2 rads and a small kitchen and a small walkway

currently have one bathroom, but i wil be putting a ensuite upstairs (when moving around wall as with s combi i can get rid of the massive airing cupboard
and also may put a downstiars toilet in

Tell them you want a Worcester or Valiant. How many Beds and bathrooms does it have. Combi's do not suit big houses, you tend to have to go up a size bigger to deal with two bathrooms/shower. expect cold shower at times if someone else is in.

Normal boiler as you put it,
you want a sealed system boiler on a s plan.
24I or 28I system boiler are good
or the Ideal Logic plus system boiler.

oh k thanks
both showers will never be used ,so im not bothered avbout i can only run one at a time,
I may just tell the existing homeowner to get a quote for changing boiler like for like and changing to a combi, and ill pay the difference (i understand this may be quite a bit more)
am i right in saying if you change a boiler in a house it is now regs to fit trvs onto radiators?
also saying this is a medium sized 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms would a 30kw boiler suffice,

id offer to go halves on getting a combi put in where you want it to go as, you intended spending this money anyway and youll both be happy

Last edited:
hmm this is what i was thinking steve, only anoying thing is i dont have any spare time at the moment as was going to do most of pipework myself, and obvissly this couple need heating back on asap.
i was just going to say i would pay whatever extra it would be to fit the combi than to change the exisiting like for like,

I'd be inclined to go for a reduction in the sale price equal to the cost of replacing the boiler, then you can have things done to your spec and preference, and get any due warranties in your name. The Ideal comes with a 7 year warranty, which is not to be sniffed at.

I'd be inclined to go for a reduction in the sale price equal to the cost of replacing the boiler, then you can have things done to your spec and preference, and get any due warranties in your name. The Ideal comes with a 7 year warranty, which is not to be sniffed at.

I'd go down this road.

You would be well advised not to enter into any financial agreements prior to exchange of contracts.

A straightforward replacement of a boiler is around £1500. If you want them to spend more than that on making alterations, and it needs to be done prior to exchange of contracts, the best way would be to agree to have the difference added to the purchase price. Then if the sale falls through you haven't lost any money or entered into any agreements that can't be fulfilled.

Strongly advise that you run any potential agreements past your solicitor/ conveyancer before committing yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back