Just had a new boiler fitted but no thermostat? Advice required ASAP | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Just had a new boiler fitted but no thermostat? Advice required ASAP in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

t0ria

hello all, this is my first post but could do with some advice ASAP please. I had a new boiler fitted today, it is a Baxi Potterton HE combi condensing boiler. My old Glow worm had totally given up the ghost. The problem I have is that the fitter didn't wire it in to my digital thermostat which is in the hall. In fact there is no thermostat at all, just the temperature control on the boiler itself. Also it only has a 24 hour timer, my existing thermostat had a 7 days programme.

When I asked him why I couldn't use the thermostat he said he was unable to wire it in. I don't actually think he even tried. He suggested I got myself a wireless one.

I haven';t paid him yet, he says he has got to come back tomorrow to look at my gas fireplace (even though I didn't ask him to). What does anyone think about this? Should he have fitted a thermostat? I have been reading that building controls on new houses require a themostat. Not all of my radiators have themostatic valves either.

If there is a better place for this question please let me know.

Thanks, Victoria, Manchester.

Hi Victoria welcome to the forum,

Yes you should have a thermostat fitted, ask the installer to get it wired by an electrician.

He could also use your old programer,

Eco

Cheers ecowarm. We had agreed a price (although stupidly I didn't get it in writing.). Is he in his rights to charge me more for doing this?

To comply with part L of the regulations the boiler should be fitted with an interlock (thermostat), the only time I havent fitted one is when Ive been instructed by the customer and even then Iam reluctant not to.

Cheers all. My friend has just rung him (as I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing) and he has said that my existing thermostatic timer thing is not compatible with my new boiler. He has said a wireless controller ranges from £80 to £500. Having looked at some threads on here it seems like he has bumped the price up a bit? We told him that we would have expected this to included in the price and he kept saying I could use the boiler without one so it's not part of the price.

I think he is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, withold the money until installed correctly

Cheers all. My friend has just rung him (as I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing) he kept saying I could use the boiler without one so it's not part of the price.

As said reg state you can not use it without a interlock ie thermostat,what thermostat/programmer do you have at the moment

imho

Building regs says that when a new boiler is installed a thermostat must be fitted to stop the boiler short cycling and the system must be updated that means that if there are no Thermostatic valves they must be fitted. If you wanted to get funny you could complain to gas safe.A friend of mine has just had a complaint which wasnt upheld and the gas safe inspector checked all these things, the only thing wrong with the installation was a thermostatic valve was fitted on a rad where the thermostat was.

Building regs says that when a new boiler is installed a thermostat must be fitted to stop the boiler short cycling and the system must be updated that means that if there are no Thermostatic valves they must be fitted. If you wanted to get funny you could complain to gas safe.A friend of mine has just had a complaint which wasnt upheld and the gas safe inspector checked all these things, the only thing wrong with the installation was a thermostatic valve was fitted on a rad where the thermostat was.
Thermostat where stat is, is ok if left on full

maybe the old one has a neutral but cant see why he could not have fitted a new digital thermostat on the old wiring its not rocket science

Thanks very much everyone, I will just have to put my tough face on when he comes back tomorrow and confront him about it! Thing is he knows I don't really know what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm a bit less in the dark now though!

Just say your going to call gas safe to check the rules, that may make him change his mind

Ring Gas Safe with the question and they will give you the answer you need. Ask the installer for his membership number before you ring. Sounds like he is trying it on. Good luck.

a tp 5 is compatible, it requires a 2 core cable from the stat to the boiler, the danfoss tp5 is a programmable stat which will give you a 7 day programmer

a tp 5 is compatible, it requires a 2 core cable from the stat to the boiler, the danfoss tp5 is a programmable stat which will give you a 7 day programmer

Quite right, couldnt be easier to wire into the new combi, they still make them i think.

gas safe will not be in the slightest bit interested its building control who will be more interested.
A boiler is not dangeous without a room stat so gas safe will not even look into it I would not have thought.

I have reported a lot worse in the past and then been given the run around such as a new boiler with no prv fitted fitter not registered probably they did nothing about this i dont even think they spoke about it again after i put the phone down.

guy should have fitted a room stat but as said before some people want the cheapest boiler at the cheapest price so maybe this is why theres no stat fitted.
not something I would ever do myself

Without a room stat it can't meet building regs............

No excuse for not fitting a room stat, even a new one with the most basic of wiring requirements such as a Honeywell 6360 costs less than £20

guy should have fitted a room stat but as said before some people want the cheapest boiler at the cheapest price so maybe this is why theres no stat fitted.
not something I would ever do myself

Thanks for your help but that certainly wasn't the case, and the price increased after I had agreed it with him. I wanted a good, thorough job well done.

I would have thought that gas safe wouldnt let a registered engineer not complying with building regulations carry on without having a word with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
That's what I was hoping, looks like a good...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back