Just had a new boiler fitted but no thermostat? Advice required ASAP | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Just had a new boiler fitted but no thermostat? Advice required ASAP in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This person should have allowed for this thermostat in the original estimate/Quote. There are no excuses for him to push this back on you as an extra.

He is required to install this new boiler to comply with, manufacturer instructions and building regulations. The latter he has bombed out on.

If he don't play fair, you can complain to Gas Safe Register, but they only cover gas safety, alternatively Trading standards or your local building control office. In any event he has to produce a Part L building regulations certificate for compliance which he can do through Gas Safe Register (GSR) if his registered. Put loads of pressure on GSR if they don't want to know, because if they run a part L competent person scheme for part L they should have power to get the installer to put the work right.

Hello again, thought you might be interested to hear the latest! Thanks to all your help I contacted the building regs people at Manchester council today who pointed me to the domestic heating compliance guide (thats a riveting read.....!). I also spoke to Main and to Danfoss to check whether the boiler and thermostat are compatible with each other (which they are). When the plumber came back I told him I was worried about the building regs and showed him what I had found- he said he would "try again" to get my existing stat working. FUNNILY ENOUGH- he's managed to wire it in now and it's all up and running. I think he just forgot to do it yesterday and decided it would be easier to lie about it and try to bamboolze me with made up techincal stuff.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your help. It's difficult when you don't know what you're talking about so it helped having some facts to hand so I could confront him, which I couldn't have done otherwise. So cheers everyone! I am a happy, warm, toasty camper.

Victoria.

thanks for the feed back t0ria,nice to know the out come of things,pleased all sorted out well
:)

Hello again, thought you might be interested to hear the latest! Thanks to all your help I contacted the building regs people at Manchester council today who pointed me to the domestic heating compliance guide (thats a riveting read.....!). I also spoke to Main and to Danfoss to check whether the boiler and thermostat are compatible with each other (which they are). When the plumber came back I told him I was worried about the building regs and showed him what I had found- he said he would "try again" to get my existing stat working. FUNNILY ENOUGH- he's managed to wire it in now and it's all up and running. I think he just forgot to do it yesterday and decided it would be easier to lie about it and try to bamboolze me with made up techincal stuff.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your help. It's difficult when you don't know what you're talking about so it helped having some facts to hand so I could confront him, which I couldn't have done otherwise. So cheers everyone! I am a happy, warm, toasty camper.

Victoria.

Thats great. So glad they came back and did the works. Just have to wait for for builing regulations certificate for Part L. But as the company has come back, I should think they will notify the work through the competent person scheme they are registered with. So look out for your post and a nice certificate should drop through your letter box. If not get straight back to them and remind them of their duty.

what i dont understand is why use the old stat ? the turn wheel analogue stats are never as accurate as digital or even better fit a honey well programmable its no good having a state of the art high performance combi with out the right controls to match

Glad to read your all sorted. Did the installer remove the integral time clock he d fitted to the boiler ? if not just leave it set to heating on constant to allow your 7 day digi stat to override it with your settings.
he might ve thought your existing stat was 240v (new is probaly 24v switching) and didn t have any testers with him y-day . giviing hime the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Wouldn't bother with a digistat amount of times have to go through it with customers explaining how it works does my head in !!!
In all honesty he's probably forgotten to include it in the price or does not feel competent with electrics in anyway .Just tell him you need it fitted even if you spend 40 pounds on a stat and 50 on getting it fitted .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
That's what I was hoping, looks like a good...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back