lack of water flow | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss lack of water flow in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

D

davegt3

hi we have just purchased a 1930's house and have a few issues regarding water pressure and flow. basically you can only use one tap or apliance ie. washing machine at a time if you use anything else there is almost no flow. same thing happens when you run both the hot and cold taps together. the propery has had a fairly recent combi boiler installed before we moved in could this have something to do with the poor flow? i suspected it may be a supply issue or maby the pipe from the meter to the house but the water board has been out and checked flow and the meter and the first tap after the stop valve. thay claim that we are recieving 4bar pressure and 14-16 ltrs a min flow which they say is more than enough so what it the problem? any help would be greatly appreciated

What floor construction do you have downstairs Dave timber will be easier than concrete for a main replacment. Also do you have a block pave drive or anything between the house and meter as this would most likely to be disturbed unless its moped of course but then.your talking money

Upvote 0
That is very harsh nicro3, wether my business model means I make a charge up front for the work I do & the skill I employ to investigate a problem or you choose to put your cost for the investigation onto the repair work at the end of the day the customer pays for the service provided & they have no reason whats so ever to mistrust me. In fact they may say the mistrust may be the other way.
BTW nice van pack.
Please donot think this is aimed at you personally I run my business as I see fit, and you yours. Part of model is nocall out charge and it works

Upvote 0
the kitchen is concrete floor and the drive is also concrete but there is a strip of grass that runs between myn and the neighbours drive

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Upvote 0
thank you all for you replys i have spoken my neighbour and he said that they suffered from low flow but then had the supply pipe from the mains replaced with plastic and now have brilliant water pressure they had there pipe replace about 6-7 years ago. i guess i will have to get a local plumber out to take a look. what sort of figure should i be looking at for some1 to investigate this? and are there any plumbers here from west sussex. also if it does turn out to be the supply pipe can i get a plumber to change it or does it have to be the water supplier as it atatches to there metre
Hi Dave
If the neighbours have the same type of property as you then it is likely that the problem is the incoming mains, if you do want a better flow rate from it to run the combi or even for an un-vent hot water system. The best option is probably to up size the main but this can be a lot of work & costly, first thing is to contact your water undertaker to get costs for a bigger supply. (25 or 32mm MDPE) They will need to do the work in the road & can bring it in but your plumber can also connect a new supply pipe the their stop valve in the footpath. (if you have a Lead supply there were some scheme to help in replacement worth an ask?)
The other option would be to store water & then use a booster pump to increase the pressure / flow. There are a few more things you can do so engage a good plumber, you can post a request on here giving some details & contact.

Upvote 0
Please donot think this is aimed at you personally I run my business as I see fit, and you yours. Part of model is nocall out charge and it works
You are very keen to keep throwing the "NO Call Out" bit around, it's all over your the website, just a shame that how much you charge for your services is no were to be seen?
So much for being open upfront & seeking not to mislead the public, a Nick!!
How many job's do you investigate with the jetting machine instead of a set of rods ? see I have done a bit in my time & I know what goes on!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are very keen to keep throwing the "NO Call Out" bit around, it's all over your the website, just a shame that how much you charge for your services is no were to be seen?
So much for being open upfront & seeking not to mislead the public, a Nick!!
How many job's do you investigate with the jetting machine instead of a set of rods ? see I have done a bit in my time & I know what goes on!!
Not sure about this post is it calling my honesty into question or general comment/opinion on drain clearance companies?

Upvote 0
Not sure about this post is it calling my honesty into question or general comment/opinion on drain clearance companies?

I'm with Chris and Destroyer on this. You advised the op that a plumber would not charge to investigate, in your case this looks like it would be true, Chris and Destroyer said they would charge for the investigation. So would I, looking and investigating are different things. I spent 15 minutes 'looking' at a bath out and shower in, all included in my free estimate. Now if I'd had to investigate behind bath panel, under floorboards etc etc and been there 2 hrs then the cust would know up front that for this it's chargeable. No different to looking at a new build and designing the heating system etc. The price has no details, that stays with me, the cust can have it but at a cost.

Upvote 0
I'm with Chris and Destroyer on this. You advised the op that a plumber would not charge to investigate, in your case this looks like it would be true, Chris and Destroyer said they would charge for the investigation. So would I, looking and investigating are different things. I spent 15 minutes 'looking' at a bath out and shower in, all included in my free estimate. Now if I'd had to investigate behind bath panel, under floorboards etc etc and been there 2 hrs then the cust would know up front that for this it's chargeable. No different to looking at a new build and designing the heating system etc. The price has no details, that stays with me, the cust can have it but at a cost.
Dont understand your point

Upvote 0
I would expect your property is supplied with iron pipework which has rusted and restricted the flow.

If I came to a customers house and identified a problem fairly quickly I would not charge for that but give them a quotation for the corrective work.

If the investigation was going to take some time I would advise them that I would make a modest charge, but if they accepted the quote for the repair work I would not charge for the initial visit.

Upvote 0
I would expect your property is supplied with iron pipework which has rusted and restricted the flow.

If I came to a customers house and identified a problem fairly quickly I would not charge for that but give them a quotation for the corrective work.

If the investigation was going to take some time I would advise them that I would make a modest charge, but if they accepted the quote for the repair work I would not charge for the initial visit.
My point but made better

Upvote 0
as above get a plumber round to investigate and look at having the water main replaced with MDPE the plumber should be able to identify the problems and will answer your questions. if the water main is lead then there is a free water main replacement scheme so this could save you some money. keep us informed of how it went. any more problems or questions just ask

and lads its not good for business i understand points from both sides and trust me for some people not charging works but i have had many people "offer" to pay me for my time knowing that there getting a quality service. there is no need to argue on here because if a future customer of nicro3's was to google his website then wonder onto here to see him argueing it doesnt look good for his business !

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s calling out for an unvented as it’s a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I know there are such things as heat meters...
Replies
Views
Back