Last rad cold at the bottom - bit of an odd one as I don't think its blocked... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Last rad cold at the bottom - bit of an odd one as I don't think its blocked... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pump is as old as the boiler, I have stripped and cleaned it as it got blocked on the last clean due to the crap x800 which had been frozen... Cleaned and cleaned the system, all is good. The pipe work Round the boiler and pump is new too as it was all changed when the boiler was added.

hw balance is only 1 and a bit turns open, but the problem is the same even when he is not demanding heat and the valve closed.

i have balance the system again and the problem is back, I'm sure the bays are t helping, as they have old valves where it's only one turn from closed to open, both are set about 1/2 open or just under, this is where the inlet is very hot and the outlet is just warm to hot.. So a out right, the rest of the rads are about the same with the valves being new and about 1 to 2 turns open apart from the hall which is wide open.

How bout the bypass it's btwn the pump and the 2/3ports and goes straight to the rtn, and if this is too open it'll short circuit back to the boiler

Also check the cold feed/vent arrangement, if uve got a combined one its possible it's blocked. Where's the hall rad that's fully open in relation to the one that's not working, and waters lazy an it'll take the easiest path.
Just to confirm if the other rads are off the problem rad is hot all over?
Still sounds like a circulation fault tho

I have a separate vent and feed, when we drained and refilled the system the vent was gurgling and spitting water every so often so I know that's clear.

the problem rad is the hall one, is the last on the loop and a 1.4m single, which comes after the 1.4 old rad in the dining room bay, a big old rad with out fins, -this is being replaced in a couple of months, along with the old bay rad in our bedroom.

if its still a prob after the other 2 old rads have been replaced then ill be annoyed..

Have you considered pressurising the system, that bit of extra pressure might help the flow a bit.

A Friend of mine recently had a problem with his boiler over pressurising due to a failed part, he was convinced he could fix without replacing the part. He drained down and flushed his system numerous times and was convinced the system is clean. He has disturbed debri in the return leg from a rad and now has similar to yourself.
From everything you have written i still believe you need to powerflush the system and balance correctly as you have indicated all rads are currently set the same.

I thought of that but was advised against it due to some bits of the system being 40 years old, there was a higher risk of leaks, and little to gain really.

There is obviously a risk but more often than not it only ever helps and is normally pretty straight forward to achieve. Make sure your boiler has an overheat stat on it though.

I haven't seen any of the pipe work as it is all under the floor boards, I will ask next door next time I see him in the week, see if he remembers how he imbed t all in, but I doubt there is a by pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
  • Question
Sounds like it needs a combination of bleeding...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
'Have tried all off bar A, B, and C, so not...
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hi guys, we moved into a place last Dec with...
Replies
Views
Sam Grocock
S
Back