Leaking aavs on central heating system? | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking aavs on central heating system? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have spent an afternoon trying to get an emergency heating engineer, but no success. The earliest is Friday, so I have filled up the system again and am monitoring the roof every few hours to see if there is any new water coming though. I think it has slowed down and if I keep the system topped up, hopefully Friday will be OK. They are going to fix manual air vents and then I will have to keep my eye on it and see if that has solved the problem. I did cancel the appointment with Worcester Bosch for tomorrow. Sadly my decorator reported this morning that the water had also run down behind the door frames in my hall and separated the wood from the plasterboard. So that will also need putting right. This is a hugely expensive leak.

Thank you so much for your help. I will update this thread when I have solved the issue. It might help other people with a similar problem.

why don't you try and contain the leak, to reduce the damage caused, leaks can cause alot of damage and cost you a fortune if left long enough

A bit worried how much my monthly premiums might go up by! I think I will keep all the bills and see what it all comes to in the end, then make the decision.

A bit worried how much my monthly premiums might go up by! I think I will keep all the bills and see what it all comes to in the end, then make the decision.

You can't make the decision once the work is completed you have to get an assessor out to assess the damage coused!!!!!!!!
Your choice premiums won't rise that much I'm sure

I have wrapped the AAVs up with loads of kitchen roll covered with perforated poly bags all tied up. This is to alert me as to what water is escaping and also to contain it. I have covered the timbers and plaster board in the roof (where it is already wet) with tin foil covered with lots of kitchen roll. This is to help me spot from which direction the water is landing and to absorb it. I go up the ladder every couple of hours and check it out and replace the paper and bags where necessary. So I hope I am on top of it.

OK, will take that on board. I am so caught up in limiting the damage and getting it fixed.....

Thanks for your advice. Brilliant.

i cant believe you cant get someone out earlier than friday, just google map'd you. sorry you are way too far for me to come to the rescue. about 3 hours

Thank you for looking. We seem to live in an area where good plumbers are worth their weight in gold. I am a bit more relaxed now that I am not seeing water coming through the ceilings and think I can hold out till Friday. I just hope the new air vents do the trick. Off up to the roof again to check.....

Hey, they look in good condition to me, the ones ive seen leaking have very obvious signs of leakage, staining scale etc, is the ceiling directly below wet?

Hey, they look in good condition to me, the ones ive seen leaking have very obvious signs of leakage, staining scale etc, is the ceiling directly below wet?

The one with brass cap looks like it's been leaking stained if you look close

im sure you can get one faster than friday mate, id want it soting quickly. i just googled your area and there are a huge amount of plumbers there. try puting a new thread on here sayin plumber wanted in tunbridge or something. Just make sure they actually are a plumber!

Hi, yes, the roof timbers under and beside the AAVs get soaked through, but there is a spray pattern on some of them, so I am not sure it's just a case of one of the AAVs leaking slowly, I think one (or both) are spraying out water in an arc (like a garden sprayer). This water then gets soaked up by the timbers (some of them are wet at the bottom but not at the top) and the plaster board, and comes down under door frames etc. Unfortunately in the past, there has been a delay effect before I notice the water coming through the ceilings underneath and then I fill up the system and then I can't see the water coming out of the AAVs. Since I topped up the system last, there hasn't been any new water coming through and if fitting new manual air vents doesn't stop the problem, at least now I am monitoring it several times a day, so I should be able to see where the water is coming from. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
L
Replies
Views
Back