Leaking immersion element, help. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking immersion element, help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I,ve got an economy 7 hot water tank.
The bottom element is giving us some serious problems. Wecan't get it to form a water tight seal and have taken it out three timesnow!!! Each time we replaced the gasket and on the final attemptwe put plenty of ptfe and lsx around it.
When we filled the tank it looked ok, but we are nowgetting the odd bubble rising from the element seal and it drips.
I don’t know what to do?
I could call out a Plumber but what could they dodifferently?
I’m thinking should I just get a new tank because it wouldbetter than paying someone £200 to try to fix an element leak.
Please help.

Yep, sometimes a nightmare, water will always find a way out if there's a chance.

Very frustrating also, I feel for you mate.

Yeah water is a pain. I don't know what to do. My Dad is no slouch with heaters and even he can't understand it.

go with what Noxer said.

I use nearly a whole roll of PTFE plus i put silicon grease below the gasket and around the gasket & PTFE once i've finished with the PTFE. Defo need an immersion spanner

Is the leak deffinately getting through the threads between immersion and boss?

I only ask as I've known one or two cylinders to have hairline cracks/pin hole leaks around the immersion boss.

I think it is. But it's hard to tell because you can't see behind it. How could I tell if their is hairline crack behind the boss. It could be something like this.

Yeah i usally use slictite and loctite on the threads, on a new install. havent had any troubles, maybe just plug off the immersion, if you dont ever use it and see how that goes im assuiming your dads a plumber. or buy a new immersion or just buy a new tank

Last edited:
Have you given the spanner a knock with a hammer to tighten in the heater, could be face of boss is out of shape ! dont think plumber will charge £200. just make sure tank is empty B4 he calls, as for replaceing the cylinder, do you know how much an Econ 7 cylinder is ?

Is the leak deffinately getting through the threads between immersion and boss?

I only ask as I've known one or two cylinders to have hairline cracks/pin hole leaks around the immersion boss.

God dont I know this.

my advice would be to remove the immersion heater, clean the cylinder up around the immersion and the threads to a very high standard, check for any damage to the cylinder or the thread. if everything looks ok then go and buy a new Immersion and fit it.

Hi, I,ve got an economy 7 hot water tank.
The bottom element is giving us some serious problems. Wecan't get it to form a water tight seal and have taken it out three timesnow!!! Each time we replaced the gasket and on the final attemptwe put plenty of ptfe and lsx around it.
When we filled the tank it looked ok, but we are nowgetting the odd bubble rising from the element seal and it drips.
I don’t know what to do?
I could call out a Plumber but what could they dodifferently?
I’m thinking should I just get a new tank because it wouldbetter than paying someone £200 to try to fix an element leak.
Please help.

well if you are not willing to pay for the professional to sort it out then you going to enjoy your drip drip drip drip drip

Boss White is brilliant for sealing immersions & the more heat it gets from the hot water, the better it seals. Trouble is it makes the immersions harder to remove later.
Needs the immersion fairly tight, but by that I mean tighten firmly until it locks up & then a tiny bit more of a turn.

Boss White is brilliant for sealing immersions & the more heat it gets from the hot water, the better it seals. Trouble is it makes the immersions harder to remove later.
Needs the immersion fairly tight, but by that I mean tighten firmly until it locks up & then a tiny bit more of a turn.

Nothing a gas torch can't deal with ;)

Nothing a gas torch can't deal with ;)

Yea, great fun using a gas torch on a foamed cylinder! :grin:
We have the smarter solution in Northern Ireland - the Willis heater. Not only is it a better, faster heater, we can simply replace the entire heater (if wished) without touching the cylinder!

Yea, great fun using a gas torch on a foamed cylinder! :grin:
We have the smarter solution in Northern Ireland - the Willis heater. Not only is it a better, faster heater, we can simply replace the entire heater (if wished) without touching the cylinder!

And if you have a spare pair of hands, ye can do it live saving a drain down :D

And if you have a spare pair of hands, ye can do it live saving a drain down :D

You might need a "spare pair of hands" to help you fight the customer if you flood their house! :smile:
A quality full bore valve on the bottom pipe is the right way they should be done, - a new element or complete Willis changeover would be so easy. Sadly few fit them or else some idiots fit those leaky restrictive slotted screw service valves.

Last edited:
There's some very dodgy advice being given on this thread. Do not use Boss White on an immersion heater as it is not suitable for wholesome water. Certainly don't try using a whole roll of PTFE and tube of LSX as recommended either. Using excessive PTFE tape can distort the cylinder boss and will certainly make it very difficult to turn the immersion heater in.

You need to take the immersion out, clean up all the threads and clean the mating face on the cylinder. Now check the face on the cylinder is completely flat. Try running the immersion in and out a few times to make sure that the thread is clean. The seal between the immersion and the cylinder is the large flat washer and not the thread. Check for pin holes or cracks around the mating surface. If you've used PTFE on the thread of the immersion it's possible that you've split the flange. In an ideal world the washer should be all that is required but I generally put a smear of jointing paste either side of the washer just to make sure. As a last resort you can put a few turns of ptfe tape on the thread but don't over do it.

Not really "dodgy" advice to use Boss White providing its not with drinking water. Sadly Boss White is one of the best ways to seal some things, especially on hot plumbing. Hardens though, with heat, which is a pain to remove later.
Agree ptfe tape can cause problems with splitting things, so have to be careful not to put much on.

Last edited:
Hot water is classed as wholesome water so Boss white shouldn't be used with it. Boss white can be used on heating systems or gas. There are plenty of other jointing materials that can be used with wholesome water.

Hot water is classed as wholesome water so Boss white shouldn't be used with it. Boss white can be used on heating systems or gas. There are plenty of other jointing materials that can be used with wholesome water.

yes theres plenty of other pastes that can be used with wholesome water the problem is ive yet to find one that works like boss whiteif your that bothered put two turns of ptfe on the thread this is sufficent to seal the threads to stop the layer of boss white reaching the wholesome water put it on both sides of the washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
We were thinking of doing this. i.e. when...
Replies
Views
J
I thought that's what was likely. Nice to hear...
Replies
Views
U
Please register with us and start a new thread...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back