Leaking immersion element, help. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking immersion element, help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
If two turns of ptfe will stop the wholesome water contacting the boss white then the boss white isn't needed as the ptfe is obviously doing the sealing. If it leaks without boss white then the water will obviously be in contact with the boss white when that is used to stop it leaking.

Many people use the name boss white as a generic name for any type of paste. A bit like calling a vacuum a hoover.

Err! Graphite paste, washer and hemp. That would probably fix it, but you would probably not get it out again. :)

Since we are talking old and potentially hazardous ..........some boss white or stag mixed with some red lead and a hemp shangy. That will work but don't drink the bath water :lol:

Since we are talking old and potentially hazardous ..........some boss white or stag mixed with some red lead and a hemp shangy. That will work but don't drink the bath water :lol:
or even possibly wash in it either

No you can wash in it, millions of people did so before they found some of the pastes where poisonous. Actually I do not think graphite paste is classed as poisonous, one Gee graphite paste says its okay for potable.

Anyway I know you Southerners have some queer ways, but do you actually drink your bath water? Perhaps you do in the droughts you have been having. :8:

Dont think you can use normal Boss White on gas as it dries out and can cause leaks.

There's some very dodgy advicebeing given on this thread. Do not use Boss White on an immersion heater as itis not suitable for wholesome water. Certainly don't try using a whole roll ofPTFE and tube of LSX as recommended either. Using excessive PTFE tape candistort the cylinder boss and will certainly make it very difficult to turn theimmersion heater in.

You need to take the immersion out, clean up all the threads and clean themating face on the cylinder. Now check the face on the cylinder is completelyflat. Try running the immersion in and out a few times to make sure that thethread is clean. The seal between the immersion and the cylinder is the largeflat washer and not the thread. Check for pin holes or cracks around the matingsurface. If you've used PTFE on the thread of the immersion it's possible thatyou've split the flange. In an ideal world the washer should be all that isrequired but I generally put a smear of jointing paste either side of thewasher just to make sure. As a last resort you can put a few turns of ptfe tapeon the thread but don't over do it.
Thanks, i,m going to give it another go.
I will clean the face and check all of the area.
When we took the washer off we noticed that there wereunequal pressure marks on it. So there cant be an equal amount of pressure beapplied to seal it.
Maybe this could be to do with something like you said.All I can do is clean the face, inspect it and fit a new element.
I,m going to apply the jointing compound before and afterthe washer. I will probably use a smear of LSX.
Should I wait for the LSX to set off before refilling thetank?
Thanks

Try Using an o-ring instead of the fibre washer. Seals every time unless the mating surface is trashed. Stick a load of silicon grease on the thread and the mating surfaces and job done.

Try Using an o-ring instead of the fibre washer. Seals every time unless the mating surface is trashed. Stick a load of silicon grease on the thread and the mating surfaces and job done.

The immersions I've been using lately have come with an o-ring instead of the fibre washer, much better IMO

Where can I get an o-ring for an immersion heater? I,m not to keen on these fiber washers When you say silicone grease do you mean something like LSX?

Last edited:
Where can I get an o-ring for an immersion heater? I,m not to keen on these fiber washers When you say silicone grease do you mean something like LSX?
No - get some silicon grease from a plumbs merchants - pm me your address & I'll post you an o ring

Silicone grease is as mentioned a "grease". Not a setting silicone!
It is to lube the rubber seal to give a good seating.

Hi
We use immersion heater elements in our products & we also had a nightmare sealing the threads. PTFE tape won't work because it is a parallel thread.
We found that normal blue locktite works brilliantly using about 4 drops round the thread. You should leave it about 30 mins to set before refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
We were thinking of doing this. i.e. when...
Replies
Views
J
I thought that's what was likely. Nice to hear...
Replies
Views
U
Please register with us and start a new thread...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back