Leaking Immersion Heater | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking Immersion Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sportyruss

Hi all,

New here and thought this would be the best place to get some advice.

I have an Economy 7 hot water system, and have just had my two immersion heaters replaced and one has a small leak in it.

I felt the plumber that did the job was a bit slapdash in his work, as firstly he was a bit heavy handed on removing the immersion heaters, secondly he didn't put any sheets on the floor when he was draining the tank into the bath, and asked me if I had a bucket to catch any leaks (surely a plumber would have a bucket), and thirdly when he had installed the heaters he told me he couldn't get the main immersion heater going as there didn't seem to be any power coming from the fuse box that the heater ran to ( the booster runs off a different fuse box). I did tell him that the main immersion had blown a while back, and that I had been using the booster for a while. He told me I would need an electrician to sort this problem out, which I accepted. Once he had refilled the tank he told me that there had been a small leak on the booster immersion heater that he had installed and that he had put some 'putty round it to stop the leak'. He also had stuffed some tissue paper over the putty, to 'soak up any excess moisture'. Then he left.

Well the leak is still there, and a small drip is coming from the bottom of the tank. I think it is the top immersion heater running down the inside of the insulation and off the bottom of the tank. I am worried that he was too heavy handed and may have cracked the main tank, and was trying to cover this up with the tissue.

I have an electrician coming round today, and the same plumber to try and fix the fault. Will he be able to do this? or is what he did with the putty normal practice. Or should I get another plumber?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your on eco 7 then the bottom heater won't have power till the cheap rate kicks in about midnight depending on your electric supplier.
As for the immersion it's going to have to come out again to reseal, he could of damaged the flange to the cylinder but i doubt it they useally crease the tank first.
He could of damaged the flange lip that the fibre washer sits against again won't see till removed.

Any descent plumber will put a sheet down if not for leaks etc but to put his tools on and grubby shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, element will have to be removed and re sealed.

Thanks for the advice. The plumber is coming around tomorrow, so with reference to the element having to come out again, it will be interesting to see what he says.

The plumber should have had all required to drain the cylinder and clear up/ keep it as clean as possible. Anyone can get leaks but from what you've said and this is your word then he shouldnt have tried to bodge the job up if there was a problem.

Finally he should have had a fly lead to test the E7 IH and prove that it was ok. If there is an existing electrical problem then it wouldn't be his job to fix but initial tests would have proved where the faults were.

Maybes the guy left his bucket on another job or it had his scrap in it.....:thinking:

I borrow custards vacuums sometimes if the walk to the van is too far, but I have got a bad leg:) Recently an old lady carted all my oil gear to the van while i was finishing my cup of tea, i thought she was getting her cheque book out, a limp can be quite good at times, but I'd prefer it to be cured soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It looks like it has been leaking from within...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They are easy to find by Googling once you...
Replies
Views
that’s a bit of a bodge if you ask me. cheap...
Replies
Views
Back