Leaking nut on water feed for loo flush | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking nut on water feed for loo flush in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

C

Camille2000

Second attempt at first post...

About a year ago we had a new Bathstore bathroom fitted. Recently the pipe which feeds water from the cistern to the bowl has started to leak. I've tried myself to re-tighten it, but with little success. It's in a very hard to reach area round the back of the base of the loo. In my opinion the nut is leaking because the guy that fitted the bathroom has cross-threaded the nut.

I was wondering if there's a special spanner of some sort I need to do the job properly?

have you tryed striping it down cleaning the fittings and seeing if its cross threaded.
maybe a pic will help see what your saying try and take the fitting off and replace it or use a bead of silicone round the seal?? you dont want to be trying to fight in tight spaces every day use a but set of grips and a cloth over the nut so not to mess it up take your time just chill out

rrrr i see now lol if the plastice is cross threaded you need a new filler flexi looks like it needs a clean best thing to do is turn off the water at ISO then flush system drain out left over water with towles or mop then strip it down defo need new filler

Cheers for your help.

My main problem is undoing or tightening the nut, I just can't get to it and there's not enough room to do either with a spanner. I'm wondering if there's a special tool I need to do it properly?

tap spanner
WR239-BASINWRENCH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried using a tap spanner with the jaw bit that folds down, perhaps I need one of those other types.

Do they all come on one size and fit those nuts? Is it a basin wrench? I'm not sure of the size of the nut, that's the problem.

Do you have a link to the type you have in mind?

Small adjustable is no good. Not enough room to turn it. I'm thinking of a sort of half tube spanner with a bar I can twist.

That jaw dropper looks like it would work if it was shorter as there are pipes directly underneath..

it is plastic thread, so you need to be very careful, easy to overtighten and damage the threads.
you will need to have the fitting apart to see what is happening,
this might mean having to take the cistern away from the pan??
if its a fibre washer tightening it could just rip the washer.
so you will at least need to re washer (fibre/rubber?)
you might end up fitting new flush valve and new flexi tap connector, and close coupled kit???

To do that I still need to undo the flexi hose, so I'm off the Homebase in the morning to see what I can find to do the job.

If the cistern can be removed okay, then do so, - don't mess about trying to get at that back nut of the fill valve. It would have initally had the fill valve tightened in place before the cistern was fitted & that's the way to do it again. You could also tighten the flexi on first & let it drop through the hole in bowl, - that way it's easier to tighten & not cross thread it, although an open spanner would do it.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To ensure a durable, leak-free connection for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just remove the cistern and do the job...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Back