Leaking soldered joint due to water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking soldered joint due to water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,
I'm finishing a job tomorrow but I've had a leak in a pipe that won't solder properly because I can't get all the water out of it. I was thinking about cutting the offending piece out and putting in 2 compression joints instead but I'd like to avoid this if possible. Anyone got a sensible solution?! Thanks all in advance.

Was it that you were trying to solder down stream of a passing stop valve/gate valve? If so replace the valve first or bung the tank.

I too have a wet vac, if the hot gate is passing and say you're trying to solder a pipe under the bathroom floor, then put the vac on the basin or bath tap and it will draw the water away from the soldered joint.

A plumbers life with a wet vac is made easy and I don't really understand guys who don't have them.

Once you push the brerad in, heat up the pipes to evaporate any water residue before soldering the joint.

No don't carbonise it or it will leave hard debris in the pipes. It should be far enough down the pipe not to get too hot. Once you turn the water on it goes runny, a bit like the bread sauce with the Christmas goose, and you flush it out.

On occasion it is possible to disassemble and remake a joint where doing any other alterations would be a real pain, but it's a fiddly job. Unsolder the joint and remove the fittings, melt and wire brush off as much solder as possible. Allow to cool and wire brush until all metal bright, flux and make again with a fresh fitting.

Simply heating up and adding more solder will never work once water has got through.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for posting this informative post :)
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
Yes aslong as you remove the old washer eg any...
Replies
Views
Back