London Wages | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss London Wages in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slide

I'm a northern based Plumber with 12 years experience. Also am NIC registered sparks.

I'm going to make the move South to London - there is a company there who have head hunted me. The only thing is I've no idea what sort of money to ask for.

They are offering one of their vans at the moment also. In the North I charge £20 to £25 an hour with a £40 callout.

If anyone can give me any advice on what to charge as a sub or what to expect as a wage, i'd be grateful.

Cheers

£20-25 ph... you're doing yourself mate. In the big smoke and being head hunted you should be aiming for £40+

I think you would be the best person to ascertain how much you should be on?

If the company is charging you out at £40ph, I cant see them being able to pay anymore than £15-£20. Lots of extra expenses as well as travel time.
Without knowing more info

Heres what Pimlico charge the end user Charges :: Pimlico Plumbers

Obviously take into account that the plumber doesnt receive all of this due to overheads (london sized overheads)

London aint cheap. I paid £10 for a pint and a small wine and I am still waiting for my change!

Blimey who can afford those prices
Oligarchs, oil tycoons, the queen and.... MPs expenses

Obviously take into account that the plumber doesnt receive all of this due to overheads (london sized overheads)

London aint cheap. I paid £10 for a pint and a small wine and I am still waiting for my change!

At a quick glance thought they were underselling themselves. Then realised it was per hour surely they can't be that busy?

Every time I look at that website i get more disgusted :lol:

Why? So long as they do a decent job, its clear what they charge, no-ones forcing people to use them.

If people think they are too dear, then they can use one of a thousand other firms.

The problem with firms like that is they have so much power in terms of advertising it's often hard for the average customer using yellow pages and the Internet to find anyone else

Horses for courses… Would one charge Simon Cowell same money as Mrs P. from an estate?

The problem with firms like that is they have so much power in terms of advertising it's often hard for the average customer using yellow pages and the Internet to find anyone else

I'm confused.

Why should it be hard to find a different plumber?

I just went to Yell.com, and asked for a plumber in pimlico.

I got loads. Oddly enough, Pimlico Plumbing wasnt even on the first page! :)

I'm more surprised than confused

why should it be hard to find a different plumber you ask? It shouldn't, where I am there is a lot of canvas advertising from a big company based elsewhere masquerading as 'local' etc but just sub all their work out at sh*t rates. Wouldn't the customer prefer to cut out the middle man and go direct to the person doing the work and save some pennies?

I kind of see where you are coming from, around me it is very difficult to get on page 1 of google due to bg, aa and all the large nationals and rated people etc paying huge sums. Doesn't really bother me though as if people don't want the large nationals then they will go onto page 2 (I am nudging closer to page 2 now).

Fair play to them though if they get the work then why not charge those prices. I don't think I would in my area but my intention is to slowly creep my prices up over the next few years (not London prices though)

To the O.P;

Try finding the cost of digs / flat / cardboard box on a park bench and the cost of a meal and try doing a journey of a few miles and see how long it takes and find the cost of car parking.

Then see how much you NEED to live there.

P.S all the above is hearsay, but it keeps coming up.

Horses for courses… Would one charge Simon Cowell same money as Mrs P. from an estate?

This is something I have never understood, some people say they charge certain customers more than others because they think they can afford it. I charge the same whether I am working in a 150k flat or a 3 million pound house. I have worked for a couple of celebrities as well who clearly have a lot of money, but my rates don't change.

How much is your accommodation? Bills etc. how much do you need a week just to live? In London are you renting? You might need a grand a week minimum just to survive.

The other day I was watching undercover bosses and it was the boss of N power, one of the people was a gas engineer who when asked how many jobs he does a day he said 4-5 as he spends 4 hours sat in traffic and that was working in a 5 mile radius!!! so if you get paid per job then make sure it's a decent amount.

This is something I have never understood, some people say they charge certain customers more than others because they think they can afford it. I charge the same whether I am working in a 150k flat or a 3 million pound house. I have worked for a couple of celebrities as well who clearly have a lot of money, but my rates don't change.

I do the same, but Mrs P. will get a better deal.

The man started as a one man band and built this up. Anybody can do it...

Always inspiring to hear of people starting from nothing to building a successful business / small empire!

whats morally wrong with the pricing, they tel you their rates and policy, and its 1/4 the rate of solicitors or accountants I know! I charge more than most down this way, people pay and call me back again and again as I like to think I do it well and I am a reasonable person. If others charge less I dont care, as I'm not the one scurrying fm pillar to post from 7 to 7, and one day they'll learn the error of their ways. Whats morally wrong and rude is idiot customers calling you at 9 oclock at night to discuss their boiler, thats when I get peed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
H
Cheers Martin. If this opportunity...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
C
Thanks old son, G3 / unvented usually...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Reading this ordeal is like watching a horror...
Replies
Views
Back