Looking for advice, currently performing badly in apprenticeship. | Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Looking for advice, currently performing badly in apprenticeship. in the Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Just like bbc radio 5, each thread should have some balance opinion, Maybe your just not cut out for being a plumber!

only joking of course :44:

When I was learning we were just thrown onto jobs with little supervision, we had to install Y plans when the only thing we had done at college was fix a bog pan to the floor, I used to go to work with a knot in my stomach worrying and then go home with the same knot. I woke up one day and the knot had gone and a lot of it was reading instructions and phoning people, taking my time and trying to keep cool. This job is a constant learning curve, I still feel i'm learning now and I have my nvq3 and am GSR.

Like Chris says.You learn nowt at college, that's coming from my nipper.
ASK QUESTIONS ALL THE TIME AND DO NOT BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT DOING SO.
It shows your capacity and willingness to learn.
My nipper still cannot find an employer to take him on, so you've actually achieved something most young lads would give their favourite finger for...employment.
When my kid was working with a company, no-one on here, who were only interested in my website, the journeyman he was working with admitted to Matthew, that he often went home worrying about the current job he was on.So, it's not just you.
There's so much you can learn on here, and there are differences of opinion on just how a job should be done.
That's what what makes this site so interesting: It's a great place to learn, and keep learning.
So stay on here and visit every chance you can get.

Last edited:
Just keep plodding away at your own pace so you know you get it right if the others say anything then just tell them it takes longer to right mistakes.

People learn at different rates I've had apprentices that by the end of the 1st year are decent and are left to pipe up airing cupboards and heating circuits whilst I pipe the boiler etc. I've had others that I have to keep a real close eye on but most come good in the end.

I was a very slow starter but I was great at knocking holes out for flues lol.

After reading all these posts I definitely will be taking my time when I'm given jobs.

I told one of the plumbers today 'I'm doing it right and not rushing so .... off' and that's what I will keep doing.

Appreciate the massive response I've had from you people, it's great to have opinions off people who actually know what it's like.

Can't wait now to keep on improving and hopefully go on to do my NVQ 3 after I've finished my NVQ 2 :)

Stick on this forum instead of playing on the xbox!

you'll learn a ton of theory and also, we quite like a drink

especially "dry sailor" john

Have a look through at various threads in the forums, alot of it will puzzle you, you'll ask questions and learn :)

I used to do that with my apprentices if we had a quiet day let them do the work and I would labour for them as it gave them good practice.

I get that when it's a slow day just not when it's mad busy and then it's rush rush panic stations to finish the job, I had an impression of the guy standing over him *** on and tea in hand shouting orders....

Similar plumbing topics

Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Trying to reach out to...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
Back