Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier | Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier in the Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

I have recently moved into a large domestic property in North East Scotland. It is a listed building over 100 years old with traditional single glazed sash windows, etc., so it is never going to be energy efficient, but it desperately needs a new heating system and I want to make it as cost effective to run as possible - especially since this is going to be our house for the long term.

The house currently has a 70kW natural gas boiler which is over 35 years old and which gets through a frightening amount of gas. We are going to end up with a lot of bed rooms, a home office, living rooms and a granny flat, so I have different heat requirements in different areas at different times of the day. I want to get a natural gas fired condensing boiler system (one large or two connected boilers) and, since the whole heating pipework, etc. needs to be replaced as well, I want to get a heating management system installed as well, so I can control different rooms to be at different temperatures at different times of the day. I am happy to have a fully functional interface to set the temperature and times of each room, however, my wife / in laws will want a simple warmer / colder adjustment and not to have to dig into the detail.

I have spoken to a number of different installers, each with different ideas about the best configuration of system to fit, and I have spoken to a couple of heating management suppliers who claim their systems are easy to install, but who don't install their own systems. None of the installers I have spoken to so far have ever worked with heating management systems.

On top of all of the above, there are options relating to Micro-CHP, Solar Water Heating, etc. which might come into this too.

Is there anyone who covers North East Scotland and can design / specify / install a complete system and who will ensure that it all works together properly / efficiently?

I don't want to end up with a collection of bits, none of which work together very well.

Thanks

My best advice is to get in touch with on of our senior members TAMZ if he can't do it I'm sure he could point you on right direction

Yes, but a number of plumbers have suggested I would be better with two 40kW boilers because that brings me into the domestic realm reducing costs and increasing options for servicing, but it makes the management system more complicated to integrate to optimise the two boilers to work in harmony. Hence the reason I need to find a system designer who can knit all the components together and be sure they will work reliably and efficiently.

To me you need to be going in to large buffer tank couple of good condensing boilers multiple zoning large modulating pump acv cylinder possible solar to buffer tank
And an intelligent system to link all together

That sounds exactly like the type of setup I am thinking of, but where can I go to get that for a reasonable price in North East Scotland? Searching the internet hasn't brought up anyone and I don't know anyone locally that has a similar type of system.

in my opinion best type of boiler would be a acv heatmaster they are very efficent boiler and you get all the hot water you need. if you dont want to go into the expense wiring all the zoning you could install intelligent radiator valves like the i pegler thermostatic rad valves which you can set temperture and on and off times throughout the day.

if the valves dont take your fancy just have a boiler house and have different circuits for differnt areas of the house, living, bedrooms, granny flat etc. more pipework but simple

the acv heatmaster are a great boiler we use them all the time in schools and b and bs

if you sent me the details of the house i could take a look and come up with more detailed plans and options.and if you can get someone im sure you will get someone on this forum.
i would def be up for the task.

That would be great. Where are you based? We don't have any plans of the house at the moment - we are getting some prepared. Essentially we have four floors with four rooms and a bathroom on each floor. We have an existing boiler house at the back of the house, so we have lots of space for controls / plumbing / etc. In terms of intelligent controls, I am intending to get the whole house wired up for computer networking, so ideally I would like a networked central controller which allows each room's temperature to be separately controlled at different times of the day. I believe this can be done with electronic TRV's - although I am not convinced that having a thermostat on the radiator provides very accurate temperature measurement of the room - but to really work efficiently, the intelligent control system also has to control the boilers to adjust the heat output to the heat demand being requested by the radiators to avoid the boilers cycling just to sense the heat demand of the system.

A bit too far from me and it will be a big job which would be hard to work around my other stuff.
This type of system is really crossing into commercial stuff although it can be done quite easily by a decent heating guy who has experience of bms stuff. A bit easier said than done. Gray's idea of a large buffer tank is the way to go if you are thinking different heat sources, probably with 2 smaller boilers on a header (not just because it keeps it in domestic but so if anything happens to one, you still have the other). 2 boilers can be easily controlled by any bms system eg a tec200.
If you want someone who would design and fit the full system maybe Hutcheons in Aberdeen would be a shout. They do mechanical and electrical design and install.
Whoever you choose, systems like this are not cheap to install.

Your biggest problem with a house like this is heat loss you can have the best heating system but if the house is not thermally efficient the heating can't be also

Thanks for the guidance. I will give Hutcheon's a call. I appreciate that the system is not cheap to install, but I am trying to balance the fact that we intend for this property to be our house for the long term, so by spending enough just now, we can control our fuel bills in the longer term.

i appreciate that heat loss is always going to be an issue, but I have already insulated the loft, we are getting the Ventrolla draught exclusion system fitted to the sash windows to minimise draughts and we will be doing everything else we can to reduce heat loss within the limits of what we are allowed to do with a listed building. Accepting that it will never be perfect, I want to add the intelligent controls to the system to allow me to reduce individual room temperatures during times when I know they will not be in use (e.g. Bedrooms can be cooler during weekdays when children are at school, living rooms can be cooler at night when people will be asleep, etc.)

You could use a manifold system like underfloor heating all rooms would have room stats digital that can be controlled independently so each room/rad can be heated to different temps
These systems can be very good can be connected all low voltage sometimes wireless ( but can be more temperamental with fabric of building )
Some now can be linked with I pads text messages ect lol it all depends on budget to be honest

thats just what i was thinking about gray. upnonor do a manifold that has separte controls for each room so you could have a manifold on each floor and a acuator on for each room.
i wouldnt do it with wireless would hard wire everything.
that would be cheaper than getting a big firm involved and it quite simple to install.
have one big pumped circuit from the boiler and then let the manifolds do the tech bit heating rads in different room when and where you want it and each room can operate at different tempertures.
you could have manfolds for everything and have no joints under the floors/

simple and would work a1
a house that size no joints would be a great job
so on each floor 2 manifold plumbing and heating each floor with have centre for services

I don't know if under floor heating would work for us since we have original floor boards, etc. but I have been told that you can use the underfloor heating manifolds with standard radiators. What would you think of plumbing it that way?
I have to re-wire the house anyway, so I have no problem hard wiring everything, and I agree that would probably give a more reliable solution

No the manifolds we are talking about would be to feed the radiators not underfloor heating
Just think of it like underfloor heating everything runs off manifolds so each rooms radiators can be controlled like underfloor heating so every room becomes its own circuit controlled independently from room stats ie every room can be set to different temperatures
And also this way there will be no joints on pipe work to radiators

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't know if you are aware of the "Society...
Replies
Views
N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
  • Question
#6 should not be undervalued as advice and I'm...
Replies
Views
Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Back