Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier | Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier in the Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Interesting idea, a few questions tho:-

How would the boiler be controlled?

Can these actuators control the boiler as well as simply opening or closing? Would the boiler be left to just circulate hot water around the house looking for an open actuator during a set period of time?

It sounds like a great idea and would keep the Part L brigade happy, however I cant see it being that efficient.

My concern would be what happens when the actuators fail and Uponor are no longer in business? Are these type of actuators generic?

Sorry to sound negative, but I recently had an underfloor system ( from Pulsar direct :bomb:) that failed and I was unable to source any spares, the system had to be disconnected and a fanned heater installed for a conservatory.

Although possibly involving more work initially, a traditional zone valve system may be more serviceable in the long term.

If anyone knows how it could be properly installed please let me know, I love to learn.

Kev.

Interesting idea, a few questions tho:-

How would the boiler be controlled?

Can these actuators control the boiler as well as simply opening or closing? Would the boiler be left to just circulate hot water around the house looking for an open actuator during a set period of time?

It sounds like a great idea and would keep the Part L brigade happy, however I cant see it being that efficient.

My concern would be what happens when the actuators fail and Uponor are no longer in business? Are these type of actuators generic?

Sorry to sound negative, but I recently had an underfloor system ( from Pulsar direct :bomb:) that failed and I was unable to source any spares, the system had to be disconnected and a fanned heater installed for a conservatory.

Although possibly involving more work initially, a traditional zone valve system may be more serviceable in the long term.

If anyone knows how it could be properly installed please let me know, I love to learn.

Kev.

Uponor are in business but it took me four months to get a new controller off of them. They had an issue with a batch of relays (that was the bull given to me), I said fine send another two as there are three on the job all bought at the same time. Oh no can't do that the other two will be fine. One of the other ones went down 10 days ago, still waiting. They sized the circulating pump incorrectly. Basically wouldn't touch uponor with the old preverbial.

Although do agree with the manifold principle for the heating system.

Well sorry to hear you had bad experience with uponor used a couple of times been great but never been to a big company where someone has never had a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
i sure that uponor controls are all interlinked back to the boiler and for that size of house i would install a magna grundfos pump with a auto adapt option so it will pump only what the heating system requires no need for bypass etc.
as we all know if one radiator needs heat the boiler may fire, but how else will it heat???
the cilent whats a system that he can heat different rooms at different times and at different tempertures an uponor have the answer and i have used uponor a load of times on domestic and commerical and have to say there service and expertise as been second to none.

another great bit of kit is a boiler sequencer this takes care of have two boiler doing the same job and will save you money on fuel
http://www.warmworld.co.uk/026.html

Last edited by a moderator:
hello and welcome

i dont think its a complicated job. i would fit 2 modern boilers and upgrade all pipework into zones. you can have an input into which zones you want and design a control system to suit

i appreciate that heat loss is always going to be an issue, but I have already insulated the loft, we are getting the Ventrolla draught exclusion system fitted to the sash windows to minimise draughts and we will be doing everything else we can to reduce heat loss within the limits of what we are allowed to do with a listed building. Accepting that it will never be perfect, I want to add the intelligent controls to the system to allow me to reduce individual room temperatures during times when I know they will not be in use (e.g. Bedrooms can be cooler during weekdays when children are at school, living rooms can be cooler at night when people will be asleep, etc.)

programmable room stats controlling zones would be a good option, simply controling a 2 port motorised valve. prog room stats are cheap and easy, just decide your temp settngs, no on and off as such just different temps at different times

still think the manifold system is the best and well most cost efficent option. as you say it is never going to be prefect as it is a listed building so why spend silly money on a lot of management controls to tell you that you are losing heat.
at least with manifolds you will be able to control each room and then you can zone the house into areas of usage.

Mark-mc, thank you for your advice. I have been away from the PC for New Year, but really appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Someone suggested contacting Hutcheon Services in Aberdeen, so my intention is to speak to them when they are back at work and see what they recommend. I'll come back to you all once I've got their suggestions and you can comment on what they suggest. Thanks to all.

your very welcome for the advice, please do come back with there suggestions. a big company like that will charge you an arm an a leg but all advice is free.

UFH would be the cheapest and best way to heat an area like this, you wouldn't need to dig the floor up but either use a floating floor system or install battens with insulation and pipework into aluminium spreader plates then 18mm board over and the floor covering of your choice, this should easily reach a lovely living temperature.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't know if you are aware of the "Society...
Replies
Views
N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
  • Question
#6 should not be undervalued as advice and I'm...
Replies
Views
Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Back