LPG installation, earthing | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss LPG installation, earthing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all,

I'm just pricing up a little install for a gas hob. It's an LPG installation from a change over kit.

I was wondering if I should price in to bang an earth rod into the ground, and run some 10mm3 cable to the pipe work, so it's earthed.

This isn't about equipotential bonding, which I know if I did this would be a big no, no.

But I can't see how else the hob pipe work will be earthed. Other than by the switched, fused, spur / plug - for the ignition.

Any thoughts, appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny

You could cause issues by doing that. You may have a potential difference between the two earths. The only way is to bond it properly.

Yeah. This was my concern, by introducing an additional earth I won't have equal bonding. But I'm relying on the earthing of the hob electrics, to earth my pipe work. Which you wouldn't do with a natural gas install, as you'd have proper earth bonding at the meter.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I obviously want it to be right.

BTW - I'm not supplying the hob, so have no idea of the size of the earth, but reckon it would be 0.75mm3 in the plug.

hey dannypipe, this has nothing to do with earthing but forgive me for interrupting this thread. A while ago in another thread (which i cannot find) you put a couple of things which you keep in the van. self tappers which i believe were from toolstation and, some brightly coloured magnetic trays. any chance you remember the product codes of these? As I cannot find the thread in which they were posted. Sorry again that this does not contribute to this thread

You need to earth the gas pipe at point of entry as it enters the property as you would NG Dannypipe. It is equipotential bonding as the gas pipe is in the equipotential zone (in the house) and therefore need to be the same potential as everything else. 10mm2 earth back to the consumer unit is the only way. Or you could just notify them that it has not been done to cover your arse.

I agree, you either need to get a sparky in to run an earth, do it yourself or point out that they will need to get it done.

Danny as Nostrum has said, within 600 mm of entry pal, I have some pre printed cards I got from regin that I leave with the customer, informing them of the regs and to use a qualified person etc etc....

That's great. Thanks everyone. I'll do as suggested and suggest a sparky runs a new earth back to consumer unit.

I'd just pass them the card. It is outside your scope and you could introduce a potential risk. Leave it to those who know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
As above The Grant instructions tell you to...
Replies
Views
Earth bonding is all about your safety. I'd go...
Replies
Views
Yea will do, just a pain in the date out here...
Replies
Views
The only opening in a built in gas meter box...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your response mate. Im not...
Replies
Views
Back