Making Gas Boiler Connections. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Making Gas Boiler Connections. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyboy

I had a slight gas leak after my new boiler was connected.

Should the connection have been tested with fluid when it was first made? Could it start leaking at a later stage?

The gas leak was not noticed till after the fitter had gone and the doors were closed.

I turned off the gas and phoned the next day - a Saturday. I was told he would be there shortly after dropping his mates off at another job - after other phone calls he arrived about 8 hours after the first call. He sprayed fluid on the nut and there was a slight bubbling, he tightened up the nut and fixed it.

Is this 'just one of those things'.

I had a slight gas leak after my new boiler was connected.

Should the connection have been tested with fluid when it was first made? Could it start leaking at a later stage?

The gas leak was not noticed till after the fitter had gone and the doors were closed.

I turned off the gas and phoned the next day - a Saturday. I was told he would be there shortly after dropping his mates off at another job - after other phone calls he arrived about 8 hours after the first call. He sprayed fluid on the nut and there was a slight bubbling, he tightened up the nut and fixed it.

Is this 'just one of those things'.

i would expect him to respond quicker as a responsible installr. He should have checked it but yes with a new compression type fitting it can happen were it is missed or caught after or whatever, unlikley granted, but it is possible. if its a leak that has been fixed we normally put that down to one of those things, if he left it knowingly and the work is poor quality i would view it differently

i agree with it being sloppy workmanship (but lets be honest we have all been there at some time) BUT in saying that his actions were not very professional in responding and repairing (if he only tightened it and sprayed it without doing a full test with manometer).
IF someone phoned me to say they thought i had left a gas leak i would be chapping their door as they put the phone down and would then check and recheck everything to ensure it was right, as i said above we have all made mistakes but the difference between good and bad tradesmen is they way they respond and fix a prob, i can honestly say i haven't had that many recalls over the years, but of the ones i had that could have been serious really bother me and i strive to ensure it doesnt happen again, sometimes standards slip abit due to various reasons but when you have a "near miss" you go back to basics as you have a cold sweat when you think what might have happened, sounds like you had a dodgy character as opposed to an honest joe who made a mistake

more importantly once a gas leak (with smell of gas) has been reported you have a duty of care (and responsibility under gas regs) to attend within one hour - after of course informing the client/house filling with gas of all the legal stuff.
if you cannot attend within the hour then its the installer/person informed of gas leak if gr registered to follow regs - and make sure the affected site is attended to within the hour by informing the gas supplier. clearly stated in unsafe procedures 6.

more importantly once a gas leak (with smell of gas) has been reported you have a duty of care (and responsibility under gas regs) to attend within one hour - after of course informing the client/house filling with gas of all the legal stuff.
if you cannot attend within the hour then its the installer/person informed of gas leak if gr registered to follow regs - and make sure the affected site is attended to within the hour by informing the gas supplier. clearly stated in unsafe procedures 6.

the gas supplier has 12 hrs to attend to a report of gas leak

i agree to disagree !! and leave it at that

where in IUP does it state an operative not on site must attend within 1hr?
when i read it i see it says when an operative is advised of a gas escape when not on site they must advise to turn off gas, ventilate property, advise not to turn on/off electrical supplies and contact the gas supplier, i'm not being arguementative but need to know where you get the info from that all, no need for us to fall out:p

not falling out at all kirk. as usual sat on me sofa with a glass of wine. tommorow i promise to post reg numbers with pages. if you ever ring gas supplier to report suspected leak, you are given two time frames 1hour turn up with smell of gas or 4hours with no smell. used them many times, and now always "not invent - but manage to smell gas of some description - even if its adam's botttom leaking" that way ime not wasting my time or the clients. as im writing this i know im gonna forget so pm me with a remind to post please! (not cos of wine - i just forget stuff)

have a good un kirk

Escape of gas
37. - (1) Where any gas escapes from any pipe of a gas supplier or from any pipe, other gas fitting or gas storage vessel used by a person supplied with gas by a gas supplier, the supplier of the gas shall, within 12 hours of being so informed of the escape, prevent the gas escaping (whether by cutting off the supply of gas to any premises or otherwise).

splitting hairs a little here guys but

transco as the emergency service provider are not actually the supplier and as such the respose time for them is for an uncontrolled gas escape within 1 hour they need to attend and with a controlled gas escape which this is as it could be isolated at the ecv then they are required to attend within 2 hours

now the gas fitter on being notified of the escape should have if he has a conscience and common sense advised
turn of at ecv/ventilate/extinguish ignition sources/not operate anything electrical incl mobile phone and then have got his backside round there
if there was still a smell of gas then transco should be called as the homeowner is not qualified to start checking where the leak is
whichever way you look at it if its your job anf there is a smell of gas then you need to drop everything and sort it pronto

well i promised to post regs and i cant.
spoke to gas safe after not being able to find them.
any reported gas leak to yourself - be it new client or someone you have worked for (including yesterday installing a new gas line) you have no obligation at all to phone anyone or even go to the job.
as others stated above the gas supplier has a duty to attend a report of a gas leak within 12 hours, the regs (dont ask me where still cant find page - me being stupid didnt ask gas safe man) if the leak is controlled i.e. (accessible ecv).
if the leak is uncontrolled law states attendance by gas supplier within 2hrs.
transco/equivalent have there own guidelines (might of helped them win current contract) state attendance will be within 1 hour wit smell of gas or 4 hours with no smell - these are their own rules and well supercede the 12 hour rule.

as newbie stated splitting hairs and common sense should prevail. if you did a job yesterday and there is a gas leak today, its in your own interest to return asap just to cover your back.

kip, my hat off to you - i was totally wrong. my lesson learnt dont quote regs that are not written down in front of you. humblest apologies.

well i promised to post regs and i cant.
spoke to gas safe after not being able to find them.
any reported gas leak to yourself - be it new client or someone you have worked for (including yesterday installing a new gas line) you have no obligation at all to phone anyone or even go to the job.
as others stated above the gas supplier has a duty to attend a report of a gas leak within 12 hours, the regs (dont ask me where still cant find page - me being stupid didnt ask gas safe man) if the leak is controlled i.e. (accessible ecv).
if the leak is uncontrolled law states attendance by gas supplier within 2hrs.
transco/equivalent have there own guidelines (might of helped them win current contract) state attendance will be within 1 hour wit smell of gas or 4 hours with no smell - these are their own rules and well supercede the 12 hour rule.

as newbie stated splitting hairs and common sense should prevail. if you did a job yesterday and there is a gas leak today, its in your own interest to return asap just to cover your back.

kip, my hat off to you - i was totally wrong. my lesson learnt dont quote regs that are not written down in front of you. humblest apologies.

WHO?? looks like we were all "nearly" right,

sorry kip - meant kirk.
got all nervous and upset because i had to admit i was wrong - hate it when that happens !!

ooooh, i shall watch you take your hat off one day.
truly believe the mark of a good plumber/tradesman is the ability to hide your mistakes perfectly, you so far have proved you can do that !!
good luck mate - job offer still there !

;)

ooooh, i shall watch you take your hat off one day.
truly believe the mark of a good plumber/tradesman is the ability to hide your mistakes perfectly, you so far have proved you can do that !!
good luck mate - job offer still there !

;)

you wont have to wait too long or watch too closely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Excellent. I'll get Dennis the gas guy to...
Replies
Views
The valve you have is a fusible head...
Replies
Views
Back