Marcrist ddm2 | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter nellyc79
  • Start date
  • Replies 98
  • Views 35K

Discuss Marcrist ddm2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Makita ain't gonna be long before she blows, can you post a review Steve when you get it please pal?

will do vern, but check tamz posts above, says it all really lol

Yeah Tamz review has 90% convinced me to junk my Makita, the core bits themselves are just as important also, I'm using some nortons which are average IMHO

Hi are they only good for core drilling or can you use as a drill as well

dont know rob, dont see why not tho, might be good for boring large holes in joists :)

got my ddm2 from northern hardware in blackburn cost 250 if my memory serves me

Having never seeing one do you still drill a pilot hole for the core to follow I only ask cos it looks like it doesn't have a chuck on it just threaded

Having never seeing one do you still drill a pilot hole for the core to follow I only ask cos it looks like it doesn't have a chuck on it just threaded
they don't have hammer action so no, you can put guide rod in, they use tapered bit

Last edited:
It may well be possible, though not sure I'd want to do so, Its a bit unwieldy to use for a prolonged period. And with my 2kg and 5kg sds / sds max never felt the need.

You always need at least one more drill (I 'need' a cordless sds at the moment)

Edit to add: you can use a tapered pilot bit but I find it a bit unwieldy so use the sds to put pilot in accurately then a guide bar with taper attachment to get core going

Last edited:
I have a sds but you would think a drill that does core holes would be able to drill the pilot hole it needs to run its guide in not moaning still want one just a thought

It'll do it just its such a lump, and with so much of a kick I find I get much better (more accurate) results doing it as described above

I have both the DDM2 and the DDM3. Same machine but the DDM3 is higher powered and faster. The 2 cost £300 odds with a couple of 850 core bits and the 3 about £430 for the gun itself.
If you do a lot of drilling it is the best buy you will ever make.
My DDM2 was (ab)used daily drilling walls up to 4ft thick and pushed so hard i've had to wear gloves to hold it it was so hot and even pushed it with my feet. It refused to die no matter what i did to it and lasted 4 years before i the clutch gave in.
I got it repaired by a local diamond drilling company who service their own gear for £60 but as i use it daily and couldn't be without it, i bought the DDM3. It is different geared and has 3 speeds up to 3500rmp so of course i use it on speed 3 for everything regardless of what core size and what the makers recommend.
May be time to consider thermic lance Tamz
regards turnpin:8:

I have a sds but you would think a drill that does core holes would be able to drill the pilot hole it needs to run its guide in not moaning still want one just a thought

A chucked one would, but it would take an age without a hammer function, so you wouldn't even bother. Hence, a lot of dedicated core drills don't have a chuck.

My makita is looking as though it will go the journey this year so might look at this one. I haven't used my feet before but I've used a lump of 3 x 2 to use as a lever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
Wow! Thanks for sharing. (although it doesn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If rainwater pipe discharges to a combined...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Personally I wouldn't use latex self levelling...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning gents and gals, I have a Milano Tower...
Replies
Views
Back