Mating an air source heat pump with existing central heating DHW system | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Mating an air source heat pump with existing central heating DHW system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's interesting nevertheless. If my ASHP works well enough then I may just rip out the LPG boiler altogether, but I'm too chicken to do it right now. It's an old Ideal Mexico floor standing unit which has given a great many years faithful service but I understand that the gas valves are no longer available so when that goes it's end of story for it by the sounds of things.

Putting in a new (which has to be condensing) boiler these days would be shear folly as they are expensive, have a short life-span and cost more due to parts and labour due to their unreliability than you would ever save in a month of Sundays on reduced gas consumption :-( So if anything I'll install a small electric boiler to augment and act as back-up for the ASHP.

Julian.

The Mexico valves can still be located for NG not sure if same for LPG.

The reliability of a new combi / system boiler rely as much on the installation as the boiler. Ideal heat only comes with 7 years parts and labour fitted for about £1200. U save 20% roughly so no in a month of Sundays u wouldn't save that much unless ur annual gas use was £6k.

Mexico was a sturdy boiler. When did it last get serviced by a gas safe engineer?

I would fit a logic on LPG as u know that it's going to light every time u ask it to, also no pilot or thermocouple to go wrong. Electric boilers are for under sinks in portacabins.

Well I'll keep the gas boiler then as you say it's sturdy. My Corgi guy who I deal with says he keeps all the old gas valves from old boilers he rips out so maybe a spare will be available - though I've no idea if it's posible to strip and repair a gas valve like you can a Weber carb?

This boiler, in seven years, has only needed one new thermocouple, and a regular cleaning as the cast heat exchanger rusts during the summer when switched off and the rust dumps itself all over the burners when you first fire it up again.

Julian

The Mexico valves can still be located for NG not sure if same for LPG.

The reliability of a new combi / system boiler rely as much on the installation as the boiler. Ideal heat only comes with 7 years parts and labour fitted for about £1200.

U save 20% roughly so no in a month of Sundays u wouldn't save that much unless ur annual gas use was £6k.

Mexico was a sturdy boiler. When did it last get serviced by a gas safe engineer?

I would fit a logic on LPG as u know that it's going to light every time u ask it to, also no pilot or thermocouple to go wrong. Electric boilers are for under sinks in portacabins.

A boiler fitted for £1200 really ?????

Yeh easy. Logic heat only £600 inc 150 sundries 450 for a days labour! TA!

[edit] 725 inc . Tad less for my pocket

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
L
Replies
Views
S
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I got...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
Back