meter pressure absorption | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss meter pressure absorption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
we talk about a possible 4mb loss across the meter at max capacity.

So if the meters at it's 6m3 capacity, ie there's a 42cdi, range cooker, fire etc

do you think it's possible to really lose 4mb due to pressure absorption

Has anyone ever measured a 4mb loss ?

How would you know as the first point of test is after the meter, or am i missing something here?

Good gasses always carry a loop,
i've got one, although at the moment, it's being put to better use :)

chatting to wales and west lad today and he showed the loss across the meter as 1mb, as he expected, however it was only getting around 13 at the meter!!

Good gasses always carry a loop,
i've got one, although at the moment, it's being put to better use :)

So you'd bypass the meter just to check whether or not the meter is causing a pressure drop by absorption?

why bother, its irrelevant as your test is carried out after the meter so providing the frictional loss across the installation does not exceed the requirements your good to go.

I suppose it could be an issue on the meter Qmax as a lower W.P will mean that frictional loss is increased slightly through Pipework but again what can you do about it?

Sounds like a problem through theory rather than practice.

if the wp is too low at meter , just call transco as its their problem not yours

From this thread I'm now wondering what the meter gov WP is set at? Maybe the gov should be placed on the meter outlet? Why is the governor on the meter inlet? It's late but am I missing something with this thought? Might be something to do with max pressure the meter can be used under? Anyone!

If it's on outlet and u suck gas it will let more through to keep pressure up and meter will give incorrect reading. That's why 24mbar is theft of gas. On inlet it keeps meter at a almost constant pressure.

I'm confused by the question. Regulator set correctly, meter the correct capacity, installation pipe the correct size. 21mbar at the meter test point, 20mbar at the inlet to all appliances at maximum flow rate, happy days.

It's more significant on bigger installs and higher pressures as delivery much much bigger.

Then the meter consideration should be assessed, may be a turbine meter or such depending on requirements and supplier authorisation.

I'm confused by the question. Regulator set correctly, meter the correct capacity, installation pipe the correct size. 21mbar at the meter test point, 20mbar at the inlet to all appliances at maximum flow rate, happy days.

Think I need to explain what i'm on about :smiley2:

first lets assume the pipe sizing is correct, as we've got a 1mb drop from meter to appliance.
Now lets say you have 15mb w/p at the meter test point with the meter running at 6m3 capacity,
so you shut off some appliances to drop the gas being used down to say 0.5m3 or so.
If the meter w/p rises to 19mb, then you could be looking at a 4mb pressure absorption across the meter, which is aloud.

Or another example, you have 15mb w/p at meter, so you call out transco, they come out and find 19mb at outlet of ecv, then tell you everythings ok, it's just pressure absorption across the meter & 4mb is allowed.

I'm just really asking if anyone has recorded a 4mb loss,
personally, i dont think it would be as much as 4mb, unless the meters fkd.

here's a reason why i'm asking,

if you start off with 15mb w/p at the meter because of pressure absorption,
you could lose another 1mb from meter to appliance, so now 14mb at boiler.

it's possible to lose another 1.5mb through the gas valve, so now we've down to 12.5mb
a lot of boilers no likey 12.5mb :banghead:

but all of the above is within the limits :sad:

It is a requirement that boilers work safely with an inlet working pressure of 14 mbar. The pressure loss across the gas valve is after the inlet so the 1.5 drop across it is irrelevant.

Ive seen big drops (2-3mb) on big combi's, can't honestly say I knew it was meter pressure absorbtion, I thought it was to do with the regulator to be honest.

I've also had transco out who have removed the outlet of the meter and blew it through and recorded it as being fine when the combi has been pulling more gas and it's dropped to under 19mb at the meter.

I've also had transco refuse to look at the supply because the boiler was operating in chimney sweep mode, but I think he was just having a bad day..

So I can see where your coming from but in reality I think they will normally sort it out if they can, this 4mb figure is probably just a caveat they can pull out the bag as and when it suits.

U can get a test point that fits between meter and reg, u need two to keep meter the same height. Will try and find them, then just fit manometer one leg to each tube and see the difference

Pretty sure its up to 4mb on a u6 meter only. If the above situation arises a meter change to an e6 would sort the issue.

What the freck ? I don't understand what this is about / what real use it is? We all work from outlet? If problem before outlet call supplier and either get reg uplifted so outlet shows 23 at full chugg or replace reg?

Refer back to post 11. This is thread is nonsense.

It would be rare to find more than 1mb loss across a domestic diaphragm meter. If it were more than that,i'd attribute it to a faulty meter mechanism.

I think what folks are trying to say is the provider is allowed a min supply pressure of 20mb supply to regulator then if you get the 4mb lost through the meter this could be 16mb at meter outlet and 15mb at appliances during peak load .

suppliers minimum requirement is usually 16mb to 17mb (depends on who you speak to) after the regulator (the main reason boiler manufacturers drop the minimum in this country). if thats not achievable its there problem. Its usually water in the mains or undersized mains pipework. just ring up get a job ref and your complaints logged. its on there head then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ah -- couldn't see "attach files" on my phone...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a TURBOMax Plus 828E in a small...
Replies
Views
K
Either pipe blocked or expansion vessel too small
Replies
Views
Back