Mid Position Valve Programmer | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Mid Position Valve Programmer in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

John.g

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've often seen this wiring diagram for Y plan but is the cylinder stat wired correctly?, should the cylinderstat terminal1 go to the boiler+circpump, terminal2 to the MPV grey wire and terminalC to (from) the programmer "HW OFF"?.
The below wiring suggests to me that with "HW Off" and with the cylinder stat satisfied that there is still power to the boiler+circpump.

1644742218610.png

It’s doesn’t matter it’s a switch so not polarity sensitive

If HW is selected off, I presume "HW Off" is live, if the cylinder stat is satisfied, will it not keep the boiler+circ pump running via WC terminal7+cylinderstat terminal2+cylinderstat terminalC+WC8?.

That is correct yes. As mentioned above there’s a Honeywell app you can download with all the common wiring diagrams, Y plan, S plan, W plan , C plan etc. of course this app doesn’t have schematics for custom wiring one might occasionally have to design.

As a aside, if someone ever wondered, like I often did, why a MPV can't be made to stall in mid position with a reduced AC voltage instead of converting AC to DC, the answer is it doesn't stall in mid position, it is held in position by an electrical brake.

"DC will hold them in position without any spring. The position of rest is set according to when the DC is applied.
If you visualise a permanent magnet inside a winding, no comutator, you have a synchronous motor.
The permanent magnet will follow the AC magnetic field as it reverses, in sync with it, with the permanent magnet rotor N pole following the winding S pole as it swaps from one side to the other.
(and vice versa)
Apply a DC current, you now have a winding with N/S poles fixed, and a permanent magnet with fixed N/S poles. The rotor will stay fixed with its N pole at the winding S pole, going nowhere."

Similar plumbing topics

Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
3 hw on 4 htg on 5 perm live
Replies
Views
Remember, the HW even when porogrammed off...
Replies
Views
Thanks, will drop that one out when doing the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
Back