Minds baffled by a shower on a quote | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Minds baffled by a shower on a quote in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

T

tommy1712

Evening lads, just got to look at a quote for a shower system not working properly,

hear goes

pupm was was replaced by someone else, the cold is fed correct from the tank (all be it in 15)
the hot is juts teed from the dhw feed.
The shower runs constantly cold but the cold supply pipes are hot so it is pumping hot when I shut the cold supply off the shower runs hot! I ballanced the cold so it was a usable temperature but the mixer would not adjust just stayed a constant temp.
Pump also over runs for 15-20 seconds after shower shut off.

I am am convinced the mixer has had it and the over run is caused by the incorrect installation.

any other ideas to throw in the mix? I recommend just ripping it all out and installing new corretly but that not gunna be cheep
so gunna start with replacement mixer and see how that goes

Banter all day long narkey or digging out is a different thing and to be honest.
All I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas on what could be the issue if I had over looked something stupid! Not to be dug out over my spelling I am a plumber not a rocket scientist!!! Especially where there reviews ain't all that lol but I am not that pathetic and there is always another side or a reason

we have all said our piece now lets move on :)

Upvote 0
personally I would get a copy of the pump installation instructions and ensure it has been fitted iaw the manufacturers guidelines ie in 22mm feeds if required etc etc, then check the mixer filters and check vlaves before bothering to rip out and replace anything.

Upvote 0
Would explain the pump running after shut off, it's not a negative head pump (don't shoot the messenger just asking) :wink:
That was my first thought. Is it a neg head pump?
Does the pump supply only the shower?
If its a bar mixer whip it off check flow through pipe stems could be pump inlet filters blocked on one side still needs repiping with dedicated hot feed 22mm cold supplys with hot feed cistern outlet raised above cistern outlet height for dedicated cold to pump make sure cold cistern feed is tsken from the non fill valve side of the cistern all the usual Pump Mi stuff that always seems to be ignored whenever you get called to a none working or problematic shower pump.
Op I think your judgment is sound and its likely the thermo mixer cartridge that has had it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mixer is behind the tiles, I did say that the filters could potentially blocked, but then it still had a good ish flow rate, that still doesn't explain the over run tho. I think the whole this needs binning and re doing, it was like mario had been at it

Upvote 0
Firstly
Disconnect the pump outlets (iso valves should be on the inlets) connect two lengths of hose to the outlets and stick em in the bath. Open the isos and flick the pump on. Observe the temp of the hot water out of the hose. If this is fine then it is the mixer.

Secondly
Even concealed mixers can usually be dismantled from the front. Posting a pic would help to determine this for you.

Upvote 0
The cold feed being in 15mm shouldn't make a whole load of difference unless it's 3-4m in length going sideways etc, a lot of shower pumps under 2bar are 15mm connections. I personally still feed them in 22mm though reducing at the pump. Teeing into the hot water drawoff is also ok if it's below the vent take off or teed downwards. I still use a s flange though. Is the pump below or above the hwsc? If above has it got an anti gravity loop? This can cause issues if not.

Upvote 0
No isolators just a couple gate valves on the inlet side.
I think is gunna have to pop round tonight and basically tell her it's a complete new installation or I am not interested. the whole set up is a mess if I try to just fix one part it's still a crap installation and bound to still not work 100% and be nothing but a pain in my backside

Upvote 0
my grandma is bad aswell as being deeselectrik!.

dos the hat coming out the hat side, cole out of cole? isolate cole and trie thot!!

ad it befor were sum1 swaped em over an didnt wurk rightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

B
  • Question
Hot water to hot shutting anti scold on shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It appears to be fine in what you propose. In...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
You are confusing pressure and flow. Your...
Replies
Views
Back