Minimum price for alcohol - good idea? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Minimum price for alcohol - good idea? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petercj

Do you think having a minimum price for alcohol is a good idea?

Even if it has the desired effect, which many people doubt, is using the price mechanism as a way of controlling people's behaviour a healthy way to run society?

I can see both sides to the arguement really.
With some current offers kids can get large carryouts with 'pocket money'. And student nights where vodkas are as cheap as 50p if not cheaper only leads to problems.
But then again, with the current climate, we don't want to be stung out of a lot of money for buying drink for a carryout and be stung with the same inflated prices pubs use.

Raising the price of stuff that is "bad for you" has never worked and never will. Instead of paying £7 for a pack of **** from the shop, people will buy them from Dodgy Bob in the boozer for £3 a pack, same with booze and everything else. The government just likes to kick the working man when he's down. You may have noticed that in any budget, there's very rarely any increase on cigars, brandy, caviar or fox hunting clobber. The revolution WILL come!!!

fixing the price won't have the desired effect on the sale of alcohol. if people want it they will still buy it whatever the price imho

It's a stupid idea, why should those that drink sensibly be taxed for brainless idiots that don't know when to stop. It's just as hare brained as the one I heard the other day, fuel prices are going up to support green initiatives to reduce the country's carbon footprint. Well yes that's really going to help the planet when you look at the muck china is putting into the atmosphere.

Right I'm off to sensibly enjoy some reasonably priced alcohol

It's been done to get the money they lost out on cig sales , all it will do is increase more theft at the lower end of society

might be a good idea, although before long that will be taxed as well.

Instead of increasing the tax on booze jack up the fines for those who cause the trouble especially at notorius bars and clubs who consistantly put the strain on our police and ambulance services at the weekend you see some of those police programmes where they arrest someone who takes five or six officers to get him/her to the nick give them bed and breakfast for the night and they then get fined £80 it doesn`t even cover the officers time grrrrrrrrr!! IMHO regards turnpin:8:

Last edited:
Instead of increasing the tax on booze jack up the fines for those who cause the trouble especially at notorius bars and clubs who consistantly put the strain on our police and ambulance services at the weekend you see some of those police programmes where they arrest someone who takes five or six officers to get him/her to the nick give them bed and breakfast for the night and they then get fined £80 it doesn`t even cover the officers time grrrrrrrrr!! IMHO regards turnpin:8:

Turnpin for Home Secretary!

Seriously, as others have pointed out, at best this is a cynical exercise.

Whenever taxes on a desirable product are raised, it creates an incentive to smuggle/bootleg/homebrew. We already have problems with backstreet "vodka" distilleries, I think I recall one blowing up earlier this year?

I also have a strong objection to the government, or anyone else, deciding what is good for me. As turnpin says, punish those relative few whose behaviour harms others, and leave the rest of us to mind our own damn business.

Ahhhh. Breathe. Another Gauloise Ray? Don't mind if I do...

Another idea and policy that Cameron and his cronies have stolen from the Scottish Government. A bill for minimum pricing went before the Scottish Parliament early this year and becomes law in 2013.

Another idea and policy that Cameron and his cronies have stolen from the Scottish Government. A bill for minimum pricing went before the Scottish Parliament early this year and becomes law in 2013.

Our politicians have quite enough daft ideas of their own without nicking them from your lot, thanks anyway.

Our politicians have quite enough daft ideas of their own without nicking them from your lot, thanks anyway.
Have you lot got the smoking ban in pubs yet like we have up here?

Cameron will make your booze extra expensive but will he use the proceeds to fund free university fees for your kids? No, don't think he will somehow! LOL

*dusts off home brewing kit* :)

ha ha i just biught one today from Tesco. couldnt resist at £53.00 for a whole kit inc beer mix. makes 23 litres. and uses plastic bottles.

look at the price cigs and people are still smoking

ha ha i just biught one today from Tesco. couldnt resist at £53.00 for a whole kit inc beer mix. makes 23 litres. and uses plastic bottles.

look at the price cigs and people are still smoking

Just over a £1 a pint :)

true but the next lot i buy will be around 10 - 15 depending on what i make so in the long term it will be around 20 - 30 p a pint. wanted to have a go for ages.

for 53 quid its worth a go especially if you make 4-5 batches it will have paid for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for your response mate. Im not...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
A
Thanks for that. And yes, time for an engineer!
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Back