Minimum price for alcohol - good idea? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Minimum price for alcohol - good idea? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
raising the price for the majority isnt a solution to fix the issue of a minority in this case !!!! Being around the age that this issue concerns (20) my view is

Raising the price of the alcohol will just get moaned about, wont solve the issue but line the pockets of the state.

but a instant 200 quid fine for being a nuisance and three counts and your infrount of a court would sure get the message across very quickly!!!

Personally don't care about the price per unit going up, as long as the price in the pubs doesn't change. Never drink in the house or buy booze from shops really.

With this government do you really think pubs will be excluded :p

"oh yes i once saw a yob having a pint at his local, lets raise it for the pubs too"

Another idea and policy that Cameron and his cronies have stolen from the Scottish Government. A bill for minimum pricing went before the Scottish Parliament early this year and becomes law in 2013.

The Nicola Sturgeon dream! I've grown to really hate the sound of her smarmy i'm always right voice.

Get real on this one. It won't make a blind bit of difference whether you can buy a can of 5% lager for a pound or £2 or a bottle of buckfast for £7 or £8. If you are poor and on the drink you will still buy it. The kids will starve to feed the habit. That is the reality!
If it gets too expensive (it won't) the crime rates will rise. You are feeding a drug and the drug will be fed, regardless.

They are going on the guidance of some study that has been done by the university of never been in the real world (Sheffield). These idiots combined by the government who came straight from oxbridge haven't a clue what real life is like and have never scrapped for a thing in their lives

It might not be plain sailing tho as some European thing may stop it in it's tracks.

To me it won't make a bit of difference. If i fancy a £40 bottle of malt i'd still buy it. It won't be affected.

I pretty much agree with all the replies to this thread - and my guess is that the majority of the British public would too.

The most commonly heard justification for a minimum price on alcohol is the problem of young people “pre-loading” with “cheap” supermarket booze prior to going out on the town clubbing, and then causing trouble later on by behaving badly in town/city centres.

To my way of thinking, if a young person is prepared to pay £5 or £6 per drink in a club, they’re not going to be deterred by paying an extra fiver or so to “pre-load”.

Also, while the antisocial behaviour of some young people has received high-profile attention in the media, the number of youngster causing the problems are an infinitesimal percentage of those consumers who buy alcohol in the supermarkets.

I don’t believe creating a minimum price for alcohol will effect the young people who cause trouble after a night out in clubs, and I certainly don’t believe it will have any effect on people who have a drink problem.

If it has any effect at all, it will probably be on very low income drinkers, such as pensioners, who enjoy a couple of cans an evening within the comfort of their own home.

Many people think that such price fixing may not even be legal, and a legal challenge has already been launched in Scotland – it would seem that English politicians don’t even have the sense to wait for the outcome of that case before embarking on what may turn out to be a blind alley. But then as any foolhardy mistakes by them are covered by the taxpayer, why should they worry?

Politicians were warned by the police over the problems that would occur if they changed the law on Licencing hours, and those warnings were completely ignored, and we’ve seen the problem of young drinkers making a nuisance of themselves grow ever since. Go back to closing the pubs at 11pm and the clubs at 1pm, and the police will be able to deal appropriately with any trouble on the streets as they once did, i.e. a bus load of coppers around the corner from the trouble spots, with another bus to take the troublemakers away.

As for the general problem of young people getting smashed on booze and making a nuisance of themselves, I think the Government would do much better to introduce a mandatory identity card scheme for young people (between the ages of 18 to 21) who want to purchase alcohol, i.e. no card, then no right to purchase.

Then any young person found causing trouble due to having drunk too much could have their card and their right to purchase alcohol removed – maybe not the first time round, but say twice within a period of 12 months. Such a card scheme would be of benefit to responsible young drinkers because they would be readily able to prove their age, and avoid any hassle when buying alcohol. It wouldn’t stop every young person from going over the top, but then nothing ever will. But I do think it would make a lot of youngster think twice about how they behave – losing their right to buy booze would be humiliating for many young people, as well as a major inconvenience.

As for the NHS being used to justify yet another fascist scheme to control the behaviour of the public - personally I think it’s about time a law was introduced to stop every tom, dick and harriet who wants to mount a soapbox and start preaching moral servitude and prohibition, from contaminating public places!

GO AWAY you sad martyrs to moral rectification – we don’t want to be saved!

The answer to keeping the NHS going is to expand GDP, not to continually keep bashing the people who use it!

Last week the BBC gave air-time to a past winner of The Apprentice (being a show that pays homage to a grumpy old git who made a fortune from selling dodgy electrical tat) so that she could espouse her opinion that anyone found to be overweight, a drinker, a smoker, etc, should be refused NHS treatment and be required to pay for their treatment! My reaction was quite brief (in fact only two words) delivered loudly at the screen, the second word being: “off!”

Yet another report out today detailing poor treatment of patients by some NHS staff, who are described as showing “a lack of care and contempt” for patients!

How long will it be before every patient is weighed and interrogated re their smoking, drinking, eating, and every other habit they might have, before being allowed to cross the threshold of a NHS hospital???

Will there be a line of skips in the hospital car-park for people who don’t pass the test?

As Hancock used to say: “Has this country gone stark, staring mad?”

“Stone me! What a life!”

It's enough to drive you to drink!

Last edited by a moderator:
i find it hard to justify charging a person for treatment that is down to lifestyle. after all they are already paying a large amount tax and vat for the priviledge of smoking & drinking and to a lesser extent vat on fast food. i dont think you can pin it down to just one issue why people do it to excess but education ,family and poverty are main reasons thats not to say the middle class and super rich are immune from this

The Nicola Sturgeon dream! I've grown to really hate the sound of her smarmy i'm always right voice.

Get real on this one. It won't make a blind bit of difference whether you can buy a can of 5% lager for a pound or £2 or a bottle of buckfast for £7 or £8. If you are poor and on the drink you will still buy it. The kids will starve to feed the habit. That is the reality!
If it gets too expensive (it won't) the crime rates will rise. You are feeding a drug and the drug will be fed, regardless.

They are going on the guidance of some study that has been done by the university of never been in the real world (Sheffield). These idiots combined by the government who came straight from oxbridge haven't a clue what real life is like and have never scrapped for a thing in their lives

It might not be plain sailing tho as some European thing may stop it in it's tracks.

To me it won't make a bit of difference. If i fancy a £40 bottle of malt i'd still buy it. It won't be affected.
So what is the alternative, more of the same? Most of us drink, but few of us suffer alcoholism because of it. Many do and it's a terrible affliction. The politicians must think it's a good idea as the UK government are now adopting it as well. And it wasn't just a University study that they got advice from, but the British Medical Association and the Police and many eminent experts.
It will make a difference, not straight away but if some are so selfish to buy a bottle of booze instead of food for their kids, then the kids will end up in foster care and eventually it will register with these people that booze isn't the answer. The way things are just now, a bottle of water is more expensive than a can of lager, no wonder alcohol related problems exist.
And I'd rather have Nicola Sturgeon than that old poe faced greetin grannie that runs the "Scottish" Labour Party, Joanne Lamont.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alcohol is a powerful mind altering drug, more powerful than most street drugs. As such, it is used by vast numbers of people for the relief of stress - albeit only temporary relief.

The greatest cause of stress in this country today is financial hardship, or money related issues ( i.e.the wealthy don't like getting any less wealthier).

While alcohol can relieve the effects of stress in the short term, the longer-term consequences can be that it make things worse, and so people get caught up in a vicious circle.

If someone is short of money the sensible thing to do is to put what they have towards their debts, but being human means that people will look for an escape from the effects of 24/7 worry and anxiety by seeking short-term relief by having a drink.

Anyone who thinks that increasing people's hardship by raising the cost of alcohol will stop them drinking is living in cloud-cuckoo land. They will just spend less on other essential items, probably food. Drinking on an empty stomach increases the risks of suffering serious illness.

Unfortunately, the people who run this country are totally out of touch with ordinary people because they live in a different world.

I'm sure we have all seen similar in our local corner shops.
I stood behind a woman and her 5 or 6 year old kid a couple of months ago. She had a couple of bottles of diamond white and something else, a packet of **** and a few cheap frozen things. She was short of about 50p so she said i'll just put the pizza back.
The sad reality for some is that food is not the top priority. Putting up the price won't stop that.
The people who will be most affected are those who can least afford it and their kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for your response mate. Im not...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
A
Thanks for that. And yes, time for an engineer!
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Back