Move waste pipe for free standing bath | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Move waste pipe for free standing bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

I don’t want to be one of life’s bores - but don’t cut through a joist - particularly on a floor that is expected (required) to take the imposed load of a bath - without providing an alternative adequate support for the loading.

From the photos you have provided this is either by properly plating the existing joist or installing a parallel joist (preferred solution).

Whilst many regard Building Regulations as a pain, they are there to protect you, and as someone above said - do you really want the bath in the kitchen? My view is that is unlikely to happen - but a partial failure, severing live water pipes is not an unknown event after the substructure has been compromised.

Be aware that if that does happen as a result of actions taken by the homeowner or plumber, an insurance company is likely to question the resulting claim.

I have no issue at all with the work being undertaken by an informed DIY enthusiast. However, a lot of houses built since 1990 do not have the same factors of safety built into the above ground floor or roof structures. That is not an issue until they are modified without due consideration as to how the revised loading is carried to the foundations.

In this case, the clue that the cross joists are “light” is that the main soil pipe has been boxed in between two joists and that the ceiling is mounted on trimmers below the joist - hence the need for a hanging strap around 90 degree bend as the soil waste transits from the horizontal to the vertical.

Last edited:
Thanks all,
really appreciate the advise given.
I realise it's a difficult call between what an experienced plumber would do and a novice.
I going along with Riley suggestion and keeping the waste above the floor. Everyones happy especially the dog after it had my dinner last night!!! Cheers.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Apartment
Replies
Views
Back