My hot water smell of gas - Vaillant ecoTECH Pro | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss My hot water smell of gas - Vaillant ecoTECH Pro in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cattie24

Hi,
I'm worried about a new Vaillant ecoTEC pro 28 installed about a month ago. Everything is working fine except I can sometimes smell gas from the hot water taps when I start to run them. I thought perhaps I was just me, but this morning my builder turned the hot water on and said he could smell gas.

I've called the installer and he came quickly when I explained that the hot water smells of gas, but he couldn't smell anything (an neither could I) when I turned the tap on to demonstrate. He said that he's never heard of gas getting into the water.

Then the builder went to get materials and bumped into a plumber friend. He thought he had heard of a fault with Vaillant boilers, where a hole in the combustion tank can suck gas into the hot water but once the tank warms up it seals itself. Could this explain why the water didn't smell gassy when the installer came round?

Has anyone else heard of a problem like this with Vaillant boilers? I'd be really grateful for advice.

if the installer has checked it out and it is still there call vaillant out as it is a warranty issue

Thanks Gasmarc. I have rung Vaillant (60p per minute) and they told me to call the National Grid to test the gas suppy, which I've done but they found nothing. Should I mention the theory about the hole in the combustion tank next time I ring?

turn power supply to boiler,run cold tap and take a reading on the gas meter .......and take it from there !
:p

Last edited:
I cant see how gas at 20 mbar can permiate the hot water @ 2.5 +bar I dont belive it, more likely somthing in the supply like a rubber tap washer reacting to scalding water.

water can get into the gas which i have had before but never the other way around

Hi SafeGasInstall, not sure I understand. Should I turn boiler off, read gas meter then turn on cold tap and re-read meter? I only smell gas with the hot tap.

this is what's probably happening,the condensates been taken into the sink waste,run the hot,trap/seal being sucked out of the boiler,p.o.c.s being smelt through the sink waste

Wish I understood. No change in the gas reading. Think I'll try again tomorrow when it's cooled down. If it is a hole that seals itself when the boiler heats up I'm not going see or smell anything now that heating's been on all day.

Is it just smelling at 1 tap? is it the tap thats in the same room as the boiler?, I like Dans Explanation the best, I dont agree with the builders prognossis about a hole thats seals itself up.

basicly a small 21mm pipe goes in to the waste system connected to your sink,run the water though it on the hot and it siphons the water from your boilers condensate trap, creating the smell,put this to your installer or direct him/her to here

is it only from the one hot tap ? ,for what its worth i think it would be impossible for the gas to get into the water because if there was a hole the pressure of the water would get into the gas valve and stop the boiler working altogether

Like the reasoning, but there is probalbly a trap on the condensate waste and POC's are not normally pushed into the waste system if operating properly. Has a redundant gas pipe been used during the install to convey the hot water? Have seen this done before.

yes that could be possible knowing the way a piece of old gas barrel can smell

All the hot water taps are affected, bath, basin and kitchen sink. The builder noticed it after plumbing in the new sink in the kitchen, as I hadn't mentioned it to him I got worried at this point as he said it's not normal for the hot water to smell of gas. It's just a wiff that then goes away as you run the water. I don't notice any smell after the heatings been on for a while, hence the problem demonstrating to the gas engineer who thought I was smelling chlorine.

Thanks for all you sugestions, I'll keep testing. Wonder whether it would help if I can capture some of the smelly water?

gas coming out your taps lol never heard of it before have you got water coming out your cooker ? if not then there aint gas coming out your taps

Hi Gas Man,

Do you mean the small grey pipe for the condensed water that comes out of the bottom of the boiler? I think I understand what you mean, that some gas is emitted with the condensate and this enters the drain and then travels back up through the sink over flow?

However the condensate goes into a brand new separate drain to the waste from the sinks. This branch drain joins the main drain downstream in the garden about 20 feet down from where the kitchen and bathroom waste enters.

Do you think the gas could travel all that way back up?

as i said before water can get into the gas but I have never heard of the other way around, when i said call vaillant I ment to get them out to confirm the problem is not boiler related

Hi Gas Man,

Do you mean the small grey pipe for the condensed water that comes out of the bottom of the boiler? I think I understand what you mean, that some gas is emitted with the condensate and this enters the drain and then travels back up through the sink over flow?

However the condensate goes into a brand new separate drain to the waste from the sinks. This branch drain joins the main drain downstream in the garden about 20 feet down from where the kitchen and bathroom waste enters.

Do you think the gas could travel all that way back up?
no sounds like thats not the problem

Hi shorticus,

No there's no smell from the kettle.

Just thought there might be some kind of water contamination with the smell released when heated. I for one am a bit baffled to be honest

Cattie24, have you sorted your problem? I for one am dying to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks so much guys, i appreciate ur advice...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
Hi There, What did you decide to do in the end?
Replies
Views
Back