My hot water smell of gas - Vaillant ecoTECH Pro | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss My hot water smell of gas - Vaillant ecoTECH Pro in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, no sadly haven't solved it yet. I've had a think about it and talked to the builder again. He's adamant that he can smell gas, but the condensate drains into a separate branch of the sewer from the waste for the kitchen and bathroom. He also thinks it unlikely that an old bit of gas pipe was used for hot water.

My boyfriend thinks that it may be normal for hot water from combi boilers to smell.

I've been observing it for the last week and it seems to be noticeable only if I haven't had the heating on, so when the boiler is warm there no noticeable smell.

I'm not sure what I can do next because when I rang Vaillant or British Gas Homecare, they wanted to call out National Grid as soon as I mentioned I could smell gas in the water. But the National Grid guy couldn't find any evidence of a leak or offer an explaination. My installer told me that gas in the water was a physical impossibility because of the pressure differences, and suggested I call out the water company, but I'm not going to do this as my cold water doesn't smell and the hot water has only been smelling since the new boiler was installed.

The builder remains convinced by the idea that there is a fault with the boiler and it has a tiny hole in the combustion tank.

So I'm stumped but hoping I can find an answer while it is within warranty!

no that is highly unlikely ,i wonder if you could get a water testing kit which would eliminate things

would a gas sniffer at the side of the running water detect the gas if there was any present?

Just a quick one, the pipe work leading to the tap hasn't previously been used for any sort of gas usage before has it?..

previous smells can come through it with warm water, it some time can be the case but not always..

If the builder is really adament that it is the boiler itself at fault and nothing to do with the Installation side, then i would make sure the combustion tank he is talking about is changed or infact the whole boiler,

personally i think you've got real unlucky with the boiler itself out of the 100,000s sold it had to be yours.

Talk to vaillant again and tell them to come and check again if not you will be reporting to Trading standards.

turn the power off to the boiler and run the hot water and see if there is any movement on the gas meter

sniffers what my leak detectors called as well not that i use it much ldf dont lie but a sniffer gets excited over all sorts

lol true, but mine found a leak on an old cooker point last week that had been covered by a kitchen unit, wouldnt of found that with my ldf so they have there uses

lol true, but mine found a leak on an old cooker point last week that had been covered by a kitchen unit, wouldnt of found that with my ldf so they have there uses

totally agree especially behind units

i recently went to a tenanted property where a new hob had been installed , I disconnected the hob as there was a gas leak on it , the landlord got the makers engineer out and the guy was on the phone to me saying there was a tiny leak on the pipework which was rubbish , i told him to run his sniffer over the hob button which was at the back and the only one used by the tenant ,He said he had not got a sniffer as his firm did not provide him with one, he eventually conceded that there was a leak indeed from the hob, they refused to repair the hob as it should not have been fitted in a flat as it did not have a FFD on it ,I told the landlord to get the fitter back apparently he was away in turkey need i say any more

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get back to the installer and ask whether old gas pipe may have been reused for the hot water and ask them to use a sniffer/ldf/leak detector? I think the man from National Grid used one of these (it looked like a wand). He didn't find anything but then I couldn't smell gas either at the time, and the heating had been on for a while.

I think I should ask the installer to investigate again before I try to involve Vaillant.

I've collected some old plastic bottles (milk) so I can capture some water when I'm smelling gas, will this work for testing, or will the gas just escape when I open the bottle. And where do I get a water testing kit?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Sorry Hary_J, we'v queried the old gas pipe already. You could try an electronic gas detector, but don't run it under the tap. I don't think it will work for long. I wonder if your smelling jointing compound, from the new installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks so much guys, i appreciate ur advice...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
Hi There, What did you decide to do in the end?
Replies
Views
Back