need some help regarding pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss need some help regarding pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

reeves1985

Re fitting bathroom and replacing rad with a suitably sized towel rad

It's staying along the same wall as the existing rad was but slight different location

The wall is a timber stud wall so the plan was to bring the pipes up in the wall and run to rad using angled valves

BUT
I have a bit of a problem whilst running the pipework in my head I have seen the stud wall runs parrallel right next to the floor joist. There's maybe 50mm from joist to wall
So I can't lift the board to get access to bring the pipework up

i'm sort of stuck for inspiration on a way around it
There is no chance a can get access from the other room as that has just recently been done and don't fancy making a small job bigger

Advice please

Forum won't let me add a pic to the post for some reason
//i60.tinypic.com/29wllxl.jpg

29wllxl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't upload a pic as the forum won't allow me to it denies the post

Plugs cut may work but what would I do about the unsupported boards under the stud wall

I imagine the OP problems is the joist & stud wall are parallel & only approx 50mm space.
This means the floorboard is either going to be a slow job to cut, or a multi tool needed. No big deal.
But piping to below the centre of stud & up are perhaps the real problem as can't get in below stud & could be done if the stud was notched in to centre. That would weaken stud but it could be strengthened by fixing each side to floor, if plasterboard is to be removed anyhow.

Sometimes ive seen me take the board up which is the easy part but when you dont have the 50mm and the joist is right below , i usually take a holesaw and cut a small hole in joist so i can solder a bend onto the vertical pipe , ( stand by with the extinguisher )

Sometimes ive seen me take the board up which is the easy part but when you dont have the 50mm and the joist is right below , i usually take a holesaw and cut a small hole in joist so i can solder a bend onto the vertical pipe , ( stand by with the extinguisher )

Lol! Have done similar but not really recommended for anyone not too confident or competent.
For any where there is a small distance to joist from edge of stud, a 30mm hole in centre of stud base & out of place solder 2 pieces copper with an elbow & later hook it through to the space near joist.

Thanks guys sorry my replies are comubgvthrough a bit garbled as I am new they need moderating first
In regards stud work and plasterboards they are no problem as I am a plastered by trade

My initial thinking was use a hole saw to cut a hole then notch the bottom plate of the stud to get access and screw bottom plate to the floorboards

All is a bit tight though

I may have to notch the joists which I was trying to avoid but still have the issue of running it into the wall

Can you push the pipes in from anywhere out side the bathroom ? Might be easier and less likely to kink or do an awkward solder!

Hi there do you have any "lift" in the pipes ie will they move up and down? if so lift up and clamp pipe
with vice grips to stop it dropping cut pipe close to floor solder on a couple of elbows channel floor to take pipe into bottom stud and then take pwk to desired location within partition.Alternatively lft floor room side of pipes and do the same chanelling floor.Good luck..brum

I didn't mean to push underfloor.cut a chase in floorboard 20mm deep back toward bottom stud also into bottom stud use a drill with 20 mm bit and tidy up with chisel this chase is where pipe will end up beneath floor level the lifting of the pipe prior to cutting just makes it easier to push pipe down for each pipe use 2no elbows either end feed or yorkie its kinda hard to explain but ive done it loads of times..brum

Similar plumbing topics

Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
As a young man i installed a lot of one pipe...
Replies
Views
T
And some have the cheek to take a payment for...
2 3
Replies
Views
Mark#91
M
B
I get it to 6100 btu. But your rad would heat...
Replies
Views
or box them in
Replies
Views
Rodreguez
R
Back