New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
thanks for all comments.
the plumber came back without any hesitation to fix most things i'd asked for (including, mounting expansion tank and insulating pipes, etc).
He didn't brick up the holes though. However after another phone call he has agreed to brick it up (hopefully it'll be a decent job)
He hasn't put his final bill in and he actually offered to subtract ~£200 until the brick work was done.
I have to say i was very close to asking him to do it once and then just phoning gas safe.
For those interested the total will be ~£7,800, which includes fitting the boiler for a 19 radiator system, converting hot water and central heating systems to pressurised systems (both previously open vented). the hot water cylinder has changed from a 120ltr to a 250ltr and he reinforced the floor (though i supplied the 18mm ply). The cylinder is also connected to economy severn and the whole system is controlled with a nest controller.
I got the impression he is reasonably competent and hard working, but it took him about 15-18days, with a lot of 5 or 6 hr days - guessing he was going to break downs / higher paid small jobs.

All new pipework rads etc ?

If no way way way too much

Glad your getting it sorted Ritch but as said before get it checked by gas safe it costs nothing and you will have piece of mind that it is to a acceptable safe standard , you have been charged top money and treated very poorly any more pictures? there is no excuse for leaving a dangerous lnstall we all get busy and over commit but you start a job like yours you finish it to a acceptable safe standard clean it commission it and compleate the benchmark and the warranties, you may have to return and finish off small making good imperfections and clear up but no more than that. Regards Kop

Hello.
thanks for all comments.
the plumber came back without any hesitation to fix most things i'd asked for (including, mounting expansion tank and insulating pipes, etc).
He didn't brick up the holes though. However after another phone call he has agreed to brick it up (hopefully it'll be a decent job)
He hasn't put his final bill in and he actually offered to subtract ~£200 until the brick work was done.
I have to say i was very close to asking him to do it once and then just phoning gas safe.
For those interested the total will be ~£7,800, which includes fitting the boiler for a 19 radiator system, converting hot water and central heating systems to pressurised systems (both previously open vented). the hot water cylinder has changed from a 120ltr to a 250ltr and he reinforced the floor (though i supplied the 18mm ply). The cylinder is also connected to economy severn and the whole system is controlled with a nest controller.
I got the impression he is reasonably competent and hard working, but it took him about 15-18days, with a lot of 5 or 6 hr days - guessing he was going to break downs / higher paid small jobs.
Where the 19 rads changed also?

Is this individual a building site plumber by any chance?
They do tend to leave things to 'others' such as the bricky, the spark, the labourer. Not that I am defending this workmanship, it is horrendous and irritates the hell out of me because these are the type of brain donors we all lose out to when pricing a job.
leaving to others is one thing but commisioning and certificating before that is done is real bad, especially when there are no 'others' on site.

outrageous!!! I would disconnect that boiler instantly. definitely phonegas safe atleast.

The worst thing is that, given that some of the pipework (for example the tidy parallel pulled bends in the first photo) is actually quite good, it seems that this installer does actually know how to work to a good standard.
Regarding making good, plastering and painting can be a grey area, but leaving a hole in the wall, particularly when in close proximity to a boiler flue is neither acceptable, nor safe.
The installer of a boiler is required to carry out work to the standards imposed by legislation and by the boiler manufacturer. Being a registered and qualified installer, he has shown that he is aware of this. If he's going to charge gas installer rates (which he clearly has), he needs to work to the appropriate standards. What he has done is contempt for the customer - he happily took the money but was going to leave that job half finished and see if he could get away with it!

From the customer's point of view reporting it won't get it fixed and calling in another party will cost extra. :(

surprised he didn't just use 3 tubes of expanding foam to sort it out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back