New Central Heating Boiler Recommendations | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Central Heating Boiler Recommendations in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

My in-laws want an old (12 year old) boiler replacing with a modern economical (and cheap but good) combi. They have their eye on a particular one but I wanted to ask you guys where's best to get one from, and which ones I need to be looking out for.

Also, the job is in Stoke on Trent, and I could do with getting in touch with a local plumber to discuss carrying out the work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

They've been looking at a "Worcester Greenstar Jnr NG 28i Condesning Combi Boiler" - would that suffice?

Last edited:
hi dan, I would find your local plumber first, then see what his recommendations are, he's the one thats gonna be looking after it, so you dont want to go buy one that me or the next person recommends only to find your best reliable local guy dosnt like them.
on the down side that means your local plumber will probably not pass on any discount he gets on the boiler, so you may lose a discount of 100-200 quid. -

as for part 2 of the question, technical aftersales service is irrelevant if your trusting your local plumber so any of good boilers will do. in my house is a broagg remeha combi. when i update the system, i will be changing to unvented and a remeha quinta.

if you want a remeha combi 650 quid + vat in blackpool.

good luck

good answer migo, if its any help i like glowworms just dont get there silly options board, fit a seperate programmer, ore else you will think your in training for university challenge.
regards
Mike

hi dan, I would find your local plumber first, then see what his recommendations are, he's the one thats gonna be looking after it, so you dont want to go buy one that me or the next person recommends only to find your best reliable local guy dosnt like them.
on the down side that means your local plumber will probably not pass on any discount he gets on the boiler, so you may lose a discount of 100-200 quid. -

as for part 2 of the question, technical aftersales service is irrelevant if your trusting your local plumber so any of good boilers will do. in my house is a broagg remeha combi. when i update the system, i will be changing to unvented and a remeha quinta.

if you want a remeha combi 650 quid + vat in blackpool.

good luck

Cheers fella. I hear what you're saying. Though I'll get trade for it, I'm just after knowing which one to go for. I'm also offering the work out to a local, and if he's got a local supplier, then win:win IMO (in my opinion).

I'll see if others reply too.

Cheers so far guys.

Bump......

Last edited:
Of course you spotted your typo Dan.....

Right...

?

My in-laws want an old (12 year old) builder replacing with a modern economical.........

My in-laws want an old (12 year old) builder replacing with a modern economical (and cheap but good) combi
To be honest Dan they'll be well shot of him at only 12 he's far too young, is he Gas Safe registered??

I think that there are laws regarding child labour.

My in-laws want an old (12 year old) builder replacing with a modern economical (and cheap but good) combi.
They may want a shiny new boiler, but do they need one. If there is nothing wrong with the existing boiler there is no advantage in changing it. The money saved by (hopefully) lower fuel bills will not pay for the new boiler. Put the money into a savings account (assuming it is not being financed by a loan at 20%APR) and wait for the boiler to fail and be uneconomical to repair.

from personal experiance i dont like worcesters,to much plastic in the construction,baxi 105 he is not a bad macine,but the main 30he and potterton performa 30 he are the same boilers and generally cheaper to buy dont go anywhere neer the instant version of these they are junk.i find the worcester a pain to service,burner gasket must be replaced yearly as well as a combustion check and before any one says other wise this is in the serviceing instructions,aristons and ferrolis are also junk,baxi duotec/plat and poterton gold have had fan issues

Hi,
Gas Safe Register post code search will find you a local fitter but I'd go on recomendation first if anyone can help out on that.
28i junior is a great little boiler, may cost a bit more than other boilers of similar performance, but worth it. Simple to install & maintain.
How bad is "the old blr" ? If it aint broke dont mend it.

Hello Dan Worcester is first choice every time ! although the CDI range would be a better choice A 30 CDI combi from a local merchant would be £880 + vat hope this helps
simon

Help!!!!

ive got a ideal classic nf fanned flue gas boiler and the radiators come on but the water from the taps are bloody cold as ice

Re: Help!!!!

ive got a ideal classic nf fanned flue gas boiler and the radiators come on but the water from the taps are bloody cold as ice
you may have multiple problems inc a dead motorised valve how ever if its 3 port they are designed to fail to dhw

.i find the worcester a pain to service,burner gasket must be replaced yearly as well as a combustion check and before any one says other wise this is in the serviceing instructions,

you only have to open the burner up if the air pressure reading on the fan is out mate - so normally a service will not require this as in a service you would check the negative pull of the fan and it is 95 per cent of the time in the required range.

worcestors for me

you only have to open the burner up if the air pressure reading on the fan is out mate - so normally a service will not require this as in a service you would check the negative pull of the fan and it is 95 per cent of the time in the required range.

worcestors for me

thats not what technical say or the mfis

thats not what technical say or the mfis
Iam sorry Gas man but Q plumb is correct, connect a manometer onto the fan pressure test point, 30cdi should read 4.1 mbar, if an less then the heat exchanger will require cleaning.
mfi states this, Ive just re checked and Ive been on the WB traing courses.

fair enough about the mfis worcester technical have said they need a stripdown yearly when i got a part number for the gaskets will clarify with them

fair enough about the mfis worcester technical have said they need a stripdown yearly when i got a part number for the gaskets will clarify with them

On the 1 day cdi course, they run through the servicing instructions, strip down is not needed, unless the pressure reading from the fan is less than the figures stated, in reality the pressures will be much greater, I have never needed to take the burner out for a clean.
Servicing a WB is money for nothing as long as youve got a gas analyser.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 3 other things i dont like about worcester are 1, the stupid key you need to put water in which normally leaks when removed 2,to much plastic used in the construction which give problems on the cdi range and they have used plastic as the feed from the gasvalve to burner [it should not be used on gas]3 most of the combi range when installed in a kitchen cubored need ventilation for cooling this is a backward step on worcesters part as most of its competitors dont!

the 3 other things i dont like about worcester are 1, the stupid key you need to put water in which normally leaks when removed 2,to much plastic used in the construction which give problems on the cdi range and they have used plastic as the feed from the gasvalve to burner [it should not be used on gas]3 most of the combi range when installed in a kitchen cubored need ventilation for cooling this is a backward step on worcesters part as most of its competitors dont!
No extra ventilation is needed in a cuboard for any of the CDI range,

so i take it the cdi is newer? this is where i a m getting my wires crossed

suppose technically no extra ventilation is required if manufacturers state exactly that. however 5440 gives minimum ventilation requirements, but following manufacturers instructions supercedes gas regs - then again you could be failing 5440 which isnt overridden by manufacturers regs.

good point.

suppose technically no extra ventilation is required if manufacturers state exactly that. however 5440 gives minimum ventilation requirements, but following manufacturers instructions supercedes gas regs - then again you could be failing 5440 which isnt overridden by manufacturers regs.

good point.
youve got to draw the line somwhere though Shaun, If the minimum clearences are good enough for WB after hours of testing etc, then its good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
If the pump is under the laminate and it’s...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back